? Ketone meter check

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Casper & Buddy & Bandit, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Casper & Buddy & Bandit

Casper & Buddy & Bandit New Member

Purchased a ketone meter today. Can you can use the same droplet of blood from ear to test for both ketones and glucose or is it contaminated the 1st time you stick the test strip in the droplet? Also, lately I'm only able to get blood from the main vein on the ear. Does it make a difference on the ketone meter check if its not "capillary" blood used or blood from the main vein?

2. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Hi! it looks like you chose the 911 prefix by mistake, would you mind changing it to a '?', just go to 'Edit Title' of your post and then choose the prefix drop down in front of the title text and select the '?' 911 is for absolute emergencies like hypoglycaemic events.

I don't use a blood ketone meter, but could you provide the brand and model you're using? it might help with anyone who can give advice. I do know it wouldn't matter if you get blood from the main vein or capillaries, it should all give you the same values.

Briere Fur Mom likes this.
  3. Casper & Buddy & Bandit

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You need a different strip to test for blood ketones vs blood glucose. If you have enough blood from the same ear prick to get a good test for both, that's fine.

5. Casper & Buddy & Bandit

6. Casper & Buddy & Bandit

Thanks.. I have 2 meters, 1 Relion Prime for BG and the other the Keto Mojo for ketone check (my 1st ketone meter check done today), but I wasn't sure if first getting a BG using the same droplet would contaminate from using 2 different test strips, but thank you for getting back to me. Sorry for the confusion, I'm still working on navigating through the FDMB board.