Ketone-Positive - Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by scienceofcats, Mar 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scienceofcats

scienceofcats Member

Hey guys, okay, so I just picked up my first package of Ketostix (they apparently didnt have Keto-Diastix). I tested Lola’s urine, and it’s on the low end of “small” or the high end of “trace” - see the attached photo. Her blood sugar is usually around 10-11 mmol/L (180-200 mg/dL) pre-shot and she is on 1 unit ProZinc insulin twice daily.

The urine I used may have been ‘evaporating’ for around 30 minutes to an hour. I can’t get her to pee on the strips, but she pees in my bathtub (an eccentricity she’s always had - likes to watch it go down the drain), so there is usually a little bit of urine that wells up around the drain (10-20 mL maybe?), and I used that. What does this test result mean? Lola seems healthy/playful/drinking normally etc... do I need to worry?

Her blood sugar spreadsheet is up to date and linked in my signature. Thanks in advance for any and all advice...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

As long as it's below "trace" and she's acting well, eating, playing, etc. I wouldn't worry about it.

Also make sure you're looking at it under good light and at exactly 15 seconds...it will continue to darken as it sits.

3. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

if i recall right, it only takes like 15-20mins for crystals to start forming in cat pee that is not put in sealed container and than in fridge. a 30 mins to an hr urine sitting in tub is not fresh and can be contaminated and will more than likely produce false results as well. i wouldn't worry about a trace result from unfresh urine but, i would make sure to do another test with fresh urine to verify if it was a false result or not..

4. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Hi, I am another voice in support of the posts above.

I test my cat daily for ketones with Ketostix mostly and I found it easier to evaluate the color by the natural light - I'd go to a balcony or by a window. Somehow the electric light does not makes things clearer.

Ketones brings about lethargy, inappetance, abnormal behavior, etc - if she acts all right it is a good sign.
    But I would not get cozy on my laurels just as yet - keep testing the urine.
    Ketones develop very fast, and we know cats on here who developed it even when the BG was at a good level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.