ketone question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by majandra, Oct 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

I had someone tell me that there *should* be ketones in the urine, because that means they are not building up in the blood, and that a cat should be metabolizing fats rather than carbs (can't remember the term).
    Err what??
    Is this *ever* normal, except in a human that is non diabetic on a zero carb diet?

2. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

there should be no ketones whatsoever - not in the urine nor in the blood.
    Do you check for ketones?
    I'd strongly recommend testing urine with dip sticks - available @the diabetes supply aisle in most human Pharma or online.
    Ketones develop very quickly and cause very serious problems such as DKA.
    I think whoever told you so got it rather wrong.

3. majandra

Yes I do check, and have no intentions of stopping. I wanted to make extra sure this person was wrong.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  4. Sammie's Mom

Sammie's Mom New Member

Do you check daily or just once a week? Also do you check around of time of giving the shot or at the 5 to 7 hour mark, for Prozine, or anytime you can catch them in the box? Just been wondering and meaning to ask this.

Thank you!

5. Tanya and Ducia

:cool:good for you!
    I'v e just seen in my local WalMart a box of Relion ketone strips - $6.65/50ct, very reasonable imho.
    And testing gives you such a peace of mind!

@majandra
    Can you enter all of your "ketone negative" readings done so far into the Rhubarb's SS? Like maybe in the Remarks Section of the SS?
    People will keep asking if you do tests again and again. :)

6. majandra

She isn't on insulin yet- so I have been testing whenever I can get a sample. So far its been 3 times since I knew I needed to check. I do have it in her sheet too

7. Tanya and Ducia

may I ask why isn't she on insulin?

8. majandra

She was under extreme stress when diagnosed, so he wanted her switched to wet food before following up. Her sugars were lower on follow up, but she had dental infection, so we wanted that cleared up first. She had that done today. I've continued to monitor her, and we follow up again in a week or two and will see how she is then.

With her numbers only just in the yellow, we figured it's best to take away the obvious causes before playing with insulin doses on numbers that aren't very high.

9. Tanya and Ducia

I totally get it!
    It's a clever choice.

But ... might I somehow persuade you to step up on the urine test thing? To make sure there are no ketones in the pic?
    Like can you please do it every day?.. and also to record in the SS every day.. or people will keep asking about it...

The most worrisome thing is to see no insulin and # in 200, which is not too bad on their own :) but they Do let some room for anxiety about ketones and subsequent ketoacodosis...

Many vets, including ours, say not to worry about being in the Yellows.
    :confused:
    But as I test Ducia's urine for ketones and also for the urine glucose levels (if High it leads to fatal kidney diseases) I do not get how could he say she was OK in the numbers in 200s?:confused: She is as high in 200s as to spill excess into the urine...which is harmful on so many ways..:confused:
    ..anyway..

To be totally frank with you I regretted every day/ hour I delayed switching to insulin dose.. :oops::oops::oops::oops::arghh:.. we ended up in DKA...:banghead::oops::banghead::oops:
    But you must be very comfortable, and well informed, as to what you are signing into before you start.. most vets(as I see it) won't help you with that..
    Stick around

majandra likes this.
  10. majandra

I should clarify- he doesn't think it is "ok" to stay in the yellow ... but temporarily yes (and hoping tentatively that clearing the infection brings things normal). He said she needs insulin at these numbers, but he wants to hold off until she recovers from the dental. I am kicking myself for not having researched earlier- this process would have been a few weeks ahead of where it is now if I had. I honestly thought that diet alone would work at first, and had no idea what insulin would entail.
    It wasn't until he pulled out his meter at her first follow up that I realized it wasn't much different than people (and I had a meter at home!) And then started the research ... oh, and more stress! I had no idea before.

I don't know how to do the urine tests any more frequently than I am :( I run to the litter box every time I hear one of the cats in it, but Rhubarb's usual pattern is to go during the day while I am working. I've already been late for clients trying to wait for her to pee when I first learned to check.
    (I should note again that I am absolutely flabbergasted that someone told me today that there *should* be ketones!! I'd really hate to be her cat)

I am doing the best I can.

11. Tanya and Ducia

Ah, .. got it. :) Ought to feel nice to have a good vet.
    Hopefully Rhubarb recovers fast for you.
    it does make sense even though it is risky to have a cat in somewhat elevated Bg + known infection for a prolonged period of time. I wish the antibiotics work fast.

I saw a lot of cats on this Forum going lower BG wise after the infection clears.
    Also having dental done helped many to achieve remission.
    Sounds like Rhubarb moves in the right direction!

Hate to nag about ketones again but do try take ketone test as frequent as you can manage.
    Once a day/ every day will help you keep a peace of mind among all of this.
    My cat had ketones over a year ago I still check on her today:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

maybe make a separate post in the Main Forum asking tips/ suggestion how to take a urine test daily with ease?
    Plenty of people here dealt with the issue, I am sure they have some tips!

deep, deep sigh...
    :blackeye: unfortunately, the FD ignorance is abound.. makes me sad to see it time and again..:blackeye::(
    Oh well, Rhubarb is in good hands and I wish her very speedy recovery!

:bighug: I could see it right away.:)
    Keep posting - many people on here lived thru your experince and can help.
    Very best of luck to both of you!

12. Jeff D / Sketch

Jeff D / Sketch Member

Additionally there are blood ketone testing meters that are more accurate and in my opinion easier to use and more fool proof. You can actually get a combo BG / ketone meter now. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_12?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ketone blood meter&sprefix=ketone blood,aps,423&crid=A7AFBETS486O

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Reason for edit: grammer
    majandra and Tanya and Ducia like this.
  13. Tanya and Ducia

I have not checked you link (old PC issues w/downloading) but many people on here praise the Nova Max meter for blood and urine BG.
    I hear it's a good tool. Gives a real time, right now measurement of the urine G.
    My reasons @ sticking w/ the cheapest for now is totally financial. No science.
    There are better / more accurate options to keep atop of the G levels.

Thanks for posting the link!

Paigeworthy and majandra like this.
  14. majandra

15. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Ketosis in humans is "desirable" if you're one of those crazy keto types. But that's not even sustainable for a human.
    Ketoacidosis is another thing entirely. You were right to check in about this!
    My kitty was DKA last weekend, same day she got diagnosed. Keep an eye on yours and hold her close!! <3

16. Jeff D / Sketch

Jeff D / Sketch Member

The blood meter for ketones is much more convenient and reliable. I would test Sketch randomly when doing a BG test. Just check amazon as they have several. Some meters specific to Ketone testing and some are a combination and test both BG and Ketones that just use different test strips for the respective tests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.