911 Keytone at level 0.5

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by dman777, Sep 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dman777

dman777 Member

My precision Xtra meter shows my cat at 0.5. Right now he is acting ok. I am without a job right now and can't afford the $2000. Any suggestions? I just gave him his dose of insulin(proziinc). He was at 470 sugar level when I gave it to him.

I also took away his food in trying to bring down his sugar level quicker.

2. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

I wouldn't withhold food. Try adding water to the food to help flush any possible ketones. If you have the ketone test strips (for urine), try to get a reading that way as well.

Somewhere online is a chart with the level of ketones present in the blood but I cannot seem to find it at the moment.

Encourage water and food.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I'll see if I can find the information on it, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to really worry until it's 2.4 or higher on the blood ketone meters

4. dman777

dman777 Member

Thank you, please let me know if you find the information. On the Precision Xtra instruction booklet it said anything over 0.6 could require medical treatment.

He has a IV Saline bag for his kidneys. I can only give him 100Ml a night though because he has heart problems. I am hoping that it will help flush the keytones out.

5. dman777

dman777 Member

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

Yes, I think that chart is the one I used in the past.

I think you are okay for now. Hang in there!

8. dman777

dman777 Member

Thank you so much! Thought I was going to have a heart attack.

He has been active today, not lethargic. But sometimes he has gotten clumsy today, so that is why I checked for keytones. I hope .5 keytones isn't what is making him clumsy. He's 18 years old, so it could be anything. But usually he is not clumsy.

9. dman777

dman777 Member

I just checked and it's back down to .1. Sugar level is down to 255.

*whew*

Talk about craziness. Diabetes in felines is horrible.

Critter Mom, Sharon14 and JanetNJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.