Keziah still doing great

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by nutcracker, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nutcracker

nutcracker New Member

Keziah initially liked the Royal Canin diabetic diet, but after a short time, started to find it unacceptable. So I took the excellent chart from catinfo to Petsmart and got various low-carb foods for her to try. After determining her favorites, I stocked up on Fancy Feast Classic Chicken Feast, Little Friskies Turkey and Giblets, and Purina One Turkey Recipe. I intend to go toward the Little Friskies and Fancy Feast for the future, since they are much cheaper. At her veterinary appointment, her blood sugar was normal, and the vet said to just keep doing what I was doing. He had recommended this site and Fancy Feast at the time of her initial diagnosis, and I'm very thankful for the nutritional guidance I got here. She only had to be on insulin for a couple of weeks.

The other cat's diet has been much more problematic. He had surgery for bladder stones at about the same time as Keziah was diagnosed with diabetes, and the vet wanted him on a urinary diet. However, he kept trying to steal Keziah's food, and I was afraid she wasn't getting enough. The urinary diet wasn't going to do him any good if he wouldn't eat it. I tried all of the prescription and non-prescription urinary diets available, but he wouldn't touch them if he thought there was a possibility of getting any of Keziah's food. So now I've given up, and I'm feeding him (Malachi) the same thing as Keziah.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The most important thing for him will be the moisture content. Adequate moisture helps reduce the odds of a number of things such as stones and renal disease. If you were feeding him dry before and are now feeding him canned that should reduce his risk.

The Friskies Special Diet Turkey Pate may be OK for both of them or maybe could be mixed in for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.