Kidney damage - cat wont eat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mel & Lilli, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mel & Lilli

Mel & Lilli New Member

Hello all.. I have not been on here in quite a while, Lilli was doing fine until about a week ago. I definitely could use some advice here, not sure what to do.

(My username was gone so I don't have my profile info anymore- Lilli is a 14 yr old female, diagnosed with diabetes about 2 years ago, on 1U levemir 2x daily)

I came home last saturday after being gone all day to find that she puked everywhere, her herniated bladder had gotten so full she couldn't pee (this happened one time a year ago when I first realized she had the problem, but it didnt get nearly this full), and she could barely walk. I rushed her off to the emergency vet and they drained it/ did a urinalysis. She had some bacteria in her urine so they gave me baytril and sent out a sample for culture.

Sunday she was not doing well. She just layed around with her face in the water bowl for most of the day. Monday I got an appointment at the vet as early as I could, I really didnt think she was going to make it. She could barely walk, wasnt very responsive and was dehydrated, her second eyelids were always 1/3 closed. The vet did a blood panel, which showed high levels of nitrogen and other waste products her kidneys werent able to filter, so the herniated bladder must have caused damage to her kidneys. He kept her for 4 days, doing sub-q fluids 2x a day. He suggested I take her home for the weekend to see if she will eat here. She has only gotten a little better, she cant walk more than a few steps without having to lay down, and when she walks its a horrible little hobble.

The main problem here is that she has not eaten for a week. The last time I knew she had food was last Friday, and it is now Sunday. She is so thin and looks so uncomfortable. She can barely support herself in the cat box and ends up covered in pee/cat litter every time she goes. I cant afford to spend much more, she has cost thousands in the last few years. I really dont know what to do here.. I love this cat more than anything, I've had her since 3rd grade, she is my baby and I dont know what to do for her.

Sorry for such a long post, but if you have any info/advice that may be helpful in this situation, please let me know.

2. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Have you and your vet considered a feeding tube? Dr. Lisa @ www.catinfo.org has some information about them. I hope you can find a solution quickly!

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

You need to assist fed her ASAP. I have used a syringe to feed diluted cat food. When a bladder gets filled completely, the kidneys stop filtration and the waste products build up in the blood instead of getting removed in the urine. From your description, this is what happened with Lilli. When the waste products build up it tend make a cat no eat that is why you have to assist feed. There is Yahoo group that has many knowledgeable people.
    http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feli ... d-Feeding/

You need to get food into Lilli NOW. One week without food is too much.

4. Mel & Lilli

Mel & Lilli New Member

Where do I get a syringe like that from??

5. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Mel

I don't have the experience with syringe feeding, but have just found out, you can try a baby-type of syringe found at a pharmacy (no needle) or your vet can supply you with one. I believe a human baby one is smaller - (ideal for babies of course and smaller animals)

please check out Larry's link on the yahoo group, looks like a lot of good info there too on how to syringe feed safely.
    Please be prepared to consult with your vet or possibly taking your kitty in, she needs to eat ASAP.

You could also try using a small spoon too if it will take too much time for you to go to the store.

Keep us posted when you can, sending good positive thoughts for your kitty to eat soon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.