Kidney failure cause such high numbers?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Puddensmom, Aug 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puddensmom

Puddensmom Member

Hi everyone,

Pudden came out of remission and has been on insulin since the 25th. She was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney failure on the 7th.

At first with a very low dose of .25 she was going down and I was getting pre shots in the 200s. When I wasn't getting any blues for a few cycles I raised her to .50. Then I got a 495. I was thinking it was a bounce but the .25 seemed too low if you look at her chart.

I headed over to the prozinc forum and got some help with reassuring me it was not a bounce and just a lack of insulin.

I raised it back to .50 and tonight got a 524! The thing is Pudden never even went into the 400s before the .50 dose. So I'm still wondering if she is bouncing or truly not getting enough insulin?

Has anyone had experience with their cat coming out of remission because of CKD? It's funny because she seemed to be feeling better but I am shocked when I check her and see these horrible numbers.

I would appreciate any advise because I am dealing with so much with her kidney disease and now to have diabetes on top of it is so overwhelming.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

There are a lot of things that could cause her to come out of remission. If she had a kidney infection, for example, that could cause it. Kidney infections are very common to CKD cats.

The bottom line is that you might not ever know what triggered it.

Wishing you both well.

3. Puddensmom

Puddensmom Member

Thank you! Is it common for numbers to suddenly skyrocket even on insulin? I know Pudden was getting a low dose, but it seems like her pancreas just suddenly threw in the towel.

4. Marje and Gracie

It certainly can especially if there are other things going on.

But....unless you have tests between 2016 and now, she could easily have been eeking up.

5. Puddensmom

Puddensmom Member

She started having higher than normal numbers back in November of 2017. She would go into the high 100s and then back down. We didn't start insulin since it seemed dangerous because she would go into normal range on her own after eating. I believe now those numbers were the result of her beginning kidney failure.

6. Marje and Gracie

Possible but there could be something else going on that they haven’t found because they are focused on CKD.

But, the bottom line is she needs insulin and so you just have to go with that and not struggle too much with “why” except for the possibility of some infection somewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.