Kidney friendly foods.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

As some of you know, my JD has recently been diagnosed with CRF. I haven't had much time to research yet. The one thing that I have been looking for is proving difficult to find. Is there a recommended amount of phosphorus that I should try to stay below with his food?

His phos level was just slightly outside the normal range so i'm not looking to start phosphorus binders, especially since i have 6 cats that share food dishes. Feeding him apart from the others is not a possibility.

I tried joining the Yahoo CRF group but they aren't making me feel very welcome from the start.

2. Carol & Yoshi

Carol & Yoshi Well-Known Member

Less than 200 or at least that was what was recommended 2.5 years ago when dealing with Munchie's CRF . From my files, this list of foods I picked out of J&B's list.

Iams
    turkey & giblets
    chicken & rice maturity

Hills Science
    Hairball Control Adult
    Chicken Entrée
    Hairball Adult Seafood Ent
    Liver & Chicken
    Savory Salmon (Adult)
    Savory Chicken Entrée (Adult)
    Gourmet Turkey (Adult)
    Turkey & Giblet (Adult)
    Savor Chicken Entrée Senior

Friskies
    Speial Diet Turkey & Giblet Dinner
    Special Diet w/salmon

Natura
    Innova Feline Lite

Royal Canin
    Modified Renal
    Renal LP 21 pouch

Pet Guard
    Beef Wheat Germ
    Turkey & Rice

Waltham
    s/o with chicken
    s/o with beef

3. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

Below 200 mg/100 calories is preferred, but there are not many options available. There are more options if you try to stay below 250 mg/100 calories. We feed mostly Wellness Turkey now, with some Friskies pouches for variety (those are lower calories, so will have to feed more). But we also use copious amounts of binders, probably more than the norm.

How much out of range? The recommendation on the CRF group is to keep phos below 6.0. And how is his calcium level?

Oh dear. Is this the Yahoo CRF Support group, or one of the others? There are a few out there. The support group is pretty high-volume, so some posts do fall between the cracks, but there are some good ppl (and some not so good) there. I had a question from 7/23 that never got answered.

4. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Deanie,

I just did this yesterday for Minou. The lowPhos file is all of the canned foods on Janet & Binky's charts (both old and new) that are < 250 phos. I removed raw, Rx, and varieties I know are discontinued. The lowPhosGrainFree file is further filtered to remove foods that contain grain and/or soy (Minou has IBD), have more than 20% carb, have more than 65% fat, or have more than 225 phos.

Edited to fix description of grain free file.

Attached Files:

5. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

These aren't on J&Bs list, but I called the company and got the as-fed values, and did the calucations based of the J&B formula. I feed my CRI cat Petguard because it has no by-products (higher quality protein), no artifical flavors or preservatives, it's not very expensive if you get it in the 14 oz cans (I order by the case from my local co-op), and my cat loves it.

Petgurd web page: http://www.petguard.com/cat-products/canned-food

Here's the info for the two low-phos flavors:

Chicken & Beef:
    Prot.: 37%
    Fat: 48%
    Carbs: 14%
    Fiber: 1g/100kcal
    Phos: 141g/100ckal

Fish, Cx, Liver:
    Prot.: 35%
    Fat: 57%
    Carbs: 7%
    Fiber: 1g/100kcal
    Phos: 195g/100ckal

6. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks, Karen....I just printed them out and will update my file on my BB ....saves taking all the paerwork with me! :roll:

7. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

Grrrr, the board just ate my long reply.

Karen, thanks for the list. I still don't know what to do foodwise. I have 6 cats that share from the same dishes. The only way to really limit JD's diet is to shut him up in a bedroom for 12-13 hours on my work days--which would make him miserable. He likes the company of the other cats.

To add to the problem, Raven and Scout are picky eaters. So i need to find a food good for JD's kidneys, palatable for everyone else and budget friendly too. I don't think that magic food exists anywhere.

For now we'll just do the fluids and see how that helps him, I guess.

8. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Well, there are some Fancy Feast and Friskies flavors on there. I'm doing grain and soy free because Minou has IBD, but if your crew doesn't have that problem, FF and Friskies should be fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.