kidney questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by bob and rusty, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob and rusty

bob and rusty New Member

what is a good urine ph level for a cat?
    what is good USG?
    my cat's USG tested 1.020 vet recommended K/D by Hills. that's not good. right?

2. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

If this is about Rusty you do not want K/D. Its very high carb and has junky ingredients. What you want to look for (unless your cat is in end stage renal failure) is a low phosphorus food. It complicates things when you need low phos and low carb food but I know that folks have fed both Wellness and the Special diet Friskies for their kidney cats.

USG is important in determining where the kidneys are at, but so is Creatinine, and other values to look at are phosphorus, and potassium. If you have the lab work, and you can post the numbers with the ref ranges, we can see where your cat is at.

An awesome site for CRD is http://www.felinecrf.org but your cat might just be on the cusp. You can also look for regular posts from Melissa and Popcorn, and Holly and Spader, with other CRF links.

I find that vets either go all out with all kinds of treatment when it isnt warranted yet, or they do nothing when something is warranted. Kinda like FD. ECID, every cat is different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.