KiKi waiting for test results

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Donna & KiKi, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna & KiKi

Donna & KiKi Member

KiKi and I have just returned from our 1st visit to the new vet . . . here is a list of all that was done: CBC / Thyroid (T4) Snap Test / Electrolyte Analysis / VetTest General Health Profile / Partial Urinalysis (Lab Stix) /Urine Culture / Cyctocentesis
    Vet will call later this afternoon with the results. In the meantime, I'm going to try and figure out how I'm going to pay for this.
    OK vet just called. Thyroid is ok, but kidney test was high? She is calling old vet to compare records and then will call me back.
    Also glucose was in urine. Now I feel sick.......and I'm crying.

2. Terri & Tananda

Terri & Tananda Member

Donna,

Don't kick yourself!! It sounds like KiKI is in good hands, you made the best choice for her by finding a new vet willing to work with you. We are all pulling for both of you!

Best of Luck
    Terri

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

For everyone, Donna's previous post.

Hi Donna. Given Kiki's BG numbers, it was to be expected there would be glucose in the urine.

Did you speak with the vet about insulin type and dose. You are still doing major dose hopping.

Good on the thyroid. Kidney disease also is usually to be expected on an older cat. Your sig line indicates Kiki is 17-18 YO. Many (most?) of us here with older cats have dealt with it. This too can be treated. I understand how scared and disappointed you must feel.

4. Donna & KiKi

Donna & KiKi Member

Still on pins and needles waiting for Dr. to call back after comparing with previous records.
    It sounded as tho she was thinking about starting him on Lantus (however, that was before any of the test results came in).
    Still waiting to hear back again. Thank you for all the encouragement . . . it's surely is nice to know that we are not alone in this . . .

I guess I don't quite understand the whole glucose and ketones -- and have more reading to do . . .

KiKi & Donna

5. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Crossing paws for you. Hang in there - no, you are not alone.

6. Donna & KiKi

Donna & KiKi Member

Starting Lantus tonite -- Vet suggested 1u to start out? Does that sound right?

7. Donna & KiKi

Donna & KiKi Member

Oh yeh - I have the Lantus SoloStart pens and I picked up a box of 31 gauge 3/10mL cc also.
    She suspects there might be some type of infection in urine, but won't know for sure what it is until the lab work comes back next week.
    Major struggle getting KiKi's records transfered -- seems I picked the one vet that USED to be partners with him. I had to physically go there.....sit in the waiting room for 45 minutes -- then take the copies to the new vet myself. Grrrrrrr -- its been a very bad day...

8. Michele&Molly

Michele&Molly Member

Oh Donna - what a crappy day, i'm so sorry.

The good news is that the results aren't so bad. Glucose in the urine is not surprising given the higher numbers Kiki is throwing and if she does indeed have a urinary tract or bladder infection - easily treated with antibiotics and her numbers will greatly improve!

I know there is a boatload to read and it can be very overwhelming but hang in there cause you're doing great and i'm real proud of you the way you're handling everything. And please, i cried like a baby as well when i first found out as well.

As i said in the previous thread, Kiki is lucky to have you.

Keep us posted.

Oh and hey, Lantus is a great insulin (i use Levemir - they are very similiar), great to see the new vet is prescribing such a good insulin. -Michele and Molly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.