? Kitty acne

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mary hornbeck, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

hi everyone, I just have one question:

What is the best way to treat kitty acne?

2. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

We switched from plastic bowls to ceramic or glass. I don't know why it works, but it does.

3. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

Plastic tends to retain bacteria.

Gordy has occassional acne. His is a pollen allergy. But some cats get it from plastic or their food.

There's ointments you can get... my vets have said Stridex gently on the chin can help. But it all depends on what's causing it.

Do you know what he is having a reaction too?

4. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Same here -- we switched to ceramic bowls, wash them super often (I add a few drops of bleach to the soapy water and be sure to rinse the dishes very well), and wipe their chin GENTLY with a Stridex pad. Don't try to scour the acne off, it will just get raw and bleed. Just rub a little each day and it will slowly get better.

Sandi.

5. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

We have 3 cats. Ceramic bowls. The bowls go in the dishwasher daily, then we run it weekly. It sterilizes everything.

Two cats (the boys Little Dude and Leo) have zero acne. But Chinus has chin acne on occasion. I conclude that some cats just get the acne and others don't.

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

In addition to using glass or ceramic bowls and washing them often, Stridex acne pads can work very well.

7. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Stainless steel is recommended from my vet...

8. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

What does GA stand for?

9. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I think Guardian Angel. We use GA next to our fur-kids name when they have moved on to the Rainbow Bridge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.