Kitty Diagnosed Two Weeks Ago

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tania Khan, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tania Khan

Tania Khan New Member

My 5 month old kitten was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about two weeks ago. The vet started him on 0.5 of Lantus and we saw no difference and his numbers were still in the 300-400s even going up to 500 at the vets office. The vet then increased his dose to 1.5, it’s almost been a week and his numbers before insulin are 360,370,380 and I test 6 hours later and they jump up to 430,440. I’m testing every 6 hours because I’m still trying to get a hang of testing and sometimes I don’t get blood. My kitty is very young and has become so weak and skinny. So I also get scared that I’m going to hurt him by checking for blood too often. My kitten eats Friskies Pate (mixed grill, turkey giblets, salmon, poultry, oceanfish). He’s still eating a lot and drinking/ urinating even more. My real concern is why are his numbers still so high? It’s almost been two weeks on insulin and he’s still the same in terms of numbers and behavior. Should we look into increasing his dose? The vet has called us back for a glucose check on Monday to see if he needs an increase.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! I see that you have already found your way to the main health forum where you are getting replies to your questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.