Kitty Feels Better with Higher Glucose?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mom2Missy, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mom2Missy

Mom2Missy Member

So, Missy was diagnosed with diabetes last Tuesday. Her glucose was 351. Her glucose dropped down into the normal range (around 96-109) on Saturday, so I did not give her any insulin. Although her numbers said she was "normal", she still seemed real lethargic to me. I finally got her to start eating some canned food, but she mainly just laid around. Yesterday, her levels jumped up to 157 in the morning and 225 in the afternoon. This morning she's at 229. The strange thing is, she seems like herself when her glucose is elevated. She walking around, jumping up on the desk, playing with the dog... My husband wonders if her body is just used to functioning with a higher glucose level, so when the numbers say she is "normal" her body feels hypo. Does that make any sense? Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

The only thing I can think of is that she went down very low (when she was lethargic).

Your numbers are not high - what you are considering elevated are pretty decent numbers. I would not shoot at a number below 200, with a newly diagnosed cat; you can always wait 30 minutes until it goes up a little. The trick is that you always want to know it is headed up. I would also suggest that you get some mid cycle numbers so you know how low she goes. That nadir number is the one to base your dose on - with PZI it usually is around +5, +6. It could be that she is going down low at nadir and what you are seeing are hypo type symptoms. This is just a guess, but you can eliminate this possibility by getting mid cycle levels.

You are using PZI right, and at a very small dose? It really helps if you can put that info in your signature line or profile so we know the basics. Here is a way to show us what kind of numbers you are getting.

8/22
    amps 157 (did we decide you were giving .4 units?)
    pmps 225

8/23
    amps 229

Edited to add: It does occur to me that I am assuming you are giving insulin. If that is not the case, what I am saying makes no sense.

3. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

I think first thing I would do would be to double check the meter, either on myself or with the solution.
    You definitely want to keep the numbers in normal range because if they stay elevated it can cause other problems with other organs(like the kidneys I think).
    But looking at your cat on the whole is important so I hope she acts normal when her numbers are in normal range soon!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you know we have the same reaction. it's not that tom does well on high #'s it's just that he's lethargic on his way down....always has been this way. i used to worry and call him a wet noodle a hour after his shot, drooling and all----but his numbers were not diving they were doing the gradual glide down.
    could it be that?

5. Ken and Sneakers

Ken and Sneakers Member

Hi
    This is actually quite common. Your husband is right. Cats get use to the high numbers after a bit and figure it for normal and feel funny for a bit as the numbers get close to normal. When you have lower numbers for a few days in a row she will feel fine and won'tr react well to the higher numbers Catch 222 isn't it
    Now I don't know your case or which insulin or how much you are giving and such but if you get low numbers you cannot shoot at what you want to do is wait 1/2 hour or 45 minutes and test again to see if you can shoot. Another option is to shoot a lower dose at lower numbers and do spotchecks to see how she reacts. Also with certain insulins like lantus it is common to shoot these lower numbers if you have some information from previous tests to go by or if you would be around to watch and do spot checks during the day. In any event for being just diagnosed your cat (and you) are doing well. Best of luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.