Kitty: Push for green numbers, or be happy with the blue?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Carina Josefine, Dec 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carina Josefine

Carina Josefine Member

Thank you all for your advice so far <3

Kitty has been stable on numbers between 5-9 for a few days on "some" insulin (6 cycles tomorrow to in theory we can up). She is only having blue numbers though, and I wonder if I should leave well enough alone and stick to that for a while, or try 0.1 and try to get her into the greens?

I can not ask my vet this, as they think I should never shoot anything below 12, and 10-15 are good numbers for a diabetic cat (they also have human meters, so no misunderstanding there). Kitty disagrees, she is tired when she is as high as 15.

Anyway, this is where it gets a little complicated: Kitty was diagnosed with pnemonia and pancreatitis two weeks ago. I think she is on the mend. Numbers are going down, he seems more energetic and she actually eats wet food (some at least). However this all started with her going in for dentals, but could not have it due to her cough. Meaning she still has tooth issues (two are being taken out as soon as she can handle it), which may affect her blood sugar. It can, right? So do I up the dose to aim for greens while we wait for this? Or do I leave it and see what it is like after dental? I'm guessing it wont be for another month or so, due to her pnemonia.

Also a Non-diabetic question: I try to free feed wet food, and never leave it out more than 4-5 hours. Still all the cats are getting loose stools from it. The transition have been gradual for them, but every time I remove the dry food, their stool get loose. Kitty is the only one NOT getting bad tummy, but she only eats fresh food and the bare minimum. The others are having an ongion wet food party. Am I leaving the wet food out too long? Are they over eating? Any input?

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

What are your goals for kitty, regulation or remission? That can impact how you dose. Time spent in healing numbers (green) gives the pancreatic beta cells a rest and helps if your goal is remission. Keeping a kitty in higher numbers can also lead to some glucose toxicity, as her body forgets what normal numbers feel like.

Bad teeth can cause infection/inflammation and keep her numbers up. You could give her a little more insulin to help her until she can get the dental.

Joanne&TinySole likes this.
  3. Carina Josefine

Carina Josefine Member

Thank you. I will try to increase dose to 0.1 or thereabouts on tuesday, when I can be home to test and monitor all day. I will only be gone a few hours tomorrow, but I know I will be worrying if I do it tomorrow.

Joanne&TinySole likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.