kitty Sophia's constipation problems

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sophia, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophia

Sophia Well-Known Member

we were gone for a few days and when we came back we noticed that Sophia was not eating. We took her to the vet and she did not feel anything. 2 days later Sophia acted strange and we took her back. X-rays showed that she was terribly constipated and they 'flushed' her out.

We were giving her 1 ml of Enulose 3 times daily with her canned food but the stool is still very hard and she does not go daily either.

Is it Ok is she does not go daily and what can I do to make her stool softer. Just give her more Enulose.

Maybe some of you have the same problem. Thank you.

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

For others, Enulose = Lactulose.

3. Becky and AJ (GA)

Becky and AJ (GA) Member

I give AJ a teaspoon (or maybe 1/2 a tsp - I can't remember off the top of my head) of Miralax every other day and that works best for him. I know others give a 1/4 - 1/2 a teaspoon twice a day, but that makes AJ's poop too soft. You can start with the 1/4 tsp twice a day mixed in the food (add a little water to the food also) to see how that works and tweak it as you go along.

Canned pumpkin also helps, but I don't give it to AJ because he doesn't like it. I think people give their sugarbabes a teaspoon of pumpkin mixed in the food, but I could be wrong. Someone please correct if I have the amount wrong. If you try the pumpkin, please make sure it's the 100% pure pumpkin, with no added stuff.

Good luck. Hope this helps. Let's us now if there's any improvement.

Becky and AJ

4. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

I wrote about using miralax in your other thread. Calliope had to be flushed out 3 or 4 times. After Miralax, it never happened again.

5. Sophia

Sophia Well-Known Member

Thank you.. where do you buy Miralax. My vet sold me the Enulos.

6. Becky and AJ (GA)

Becky and AJ (GA) Member

Target, Wal-Mart, CVS, etc.

7. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

I feel for you and poor Sophia. Kee Kee aka Mr. Kitty is plugged again. It has only been 4 weeks this time. We've been there so much that the vet said I should think about letting him go. He was so plugged the last time, the vet said if Kee Kee managed to poop on his own, he would have destroyed his colon.

I am so broken hearted, but he can't continue to suffer like this. The vet is closed until Monday, but I may call. I never knew constipation could be such a big problem for a cat. My cats are all indoors only, but I'm really wondering what I am protecting them from. It seems like they get so sick.

Good luck to Sophia. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs and Healing,

Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

8. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Hi Liz,

My Jibber has had a constipation problem too. Doc gave him Lactulose, but that did not seem to work that great.

I started the Miralax last week, (I am using about an 1/8 teaspoon to start) and that really seems to help him.

I bought the brand name Miralax. A 4 ounce bottle was around 6 or 7 dollars I think, but well worth it, as it helps Jibber a lot!

Hope you can get Sophia regulated and going daily and not feeling so bad.

Jean and Charcoal (GA)

9. Becky and AJ (GA)

Becky and AJ (GA) Member

Cat and Sweet Max,

I assume you've tried the Miralax and that didn't work? Or pumpkin? AJ gets plugged up sometimes but when I give him the Miralax, he's fine. But, he doesn't get as plugged up as Mr. Kitty, from what you've described. I haven't been in your situation, but there must be another solution than PTS. If I got the wrong impression, I apologize. I just feel so bad for you. :cry:

Becky and AJ

10. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

Becky and AJ,

I'm not offended at all. The last time he was solidly plugged was 4 weeks ago. I left him at the vets for an overnight to be unplugged. And then picked up my bro from a 2 week stint in the hospital. When I heard PTS, I said I couldn't even think about that. Kee Kee is only 5 or 6, and extremely happy, and loving.

Since the last bout, he has been getting 3 cc of Lactulose/Enulose + 2-3 cc water, every day. He eats low carb Fancy Feast, and also gets Iams Low Residue dry when he asks for it. He does not like pumpkin. He doesn't like Laxatone, although I mixed some in his FF and sprinkled the Iams on top, and he actually ate some, after first backing away from it, like it was a mountain lion about to eat him.

I wish I could give him a sedative of some sort, because I knew someone whose colon got blocked to the point of going in for surgery. At least two of the times, everything moved on its own, as soon as the person was anestisized. (Can we say anal retentive? LOL).

Yesterday morning, he was given a suppository. Last night, he passed 2 large marble size, dark stools. I was hoping that was the start of something, but he has been making the growning/growling noise that scares me out of my skin.

I may try putting a blanket in the dryer, and then wrapping him up in it. No clue why I keep thinking that may work.

And Hills WD used to give Sweet Max extremely watery stools. I've thought about getting some for Kee Kee to add to his food. I'd rather have him messing all over, than see him suffering.

Hugs and Healing,

Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

11. Becky and AJ (GA)

Becky and AJ (GA) Member

Cat and Sweet Max,

It sounds like you've tried just about everything to no avail. Maybe the WD will work. The growling/groaning does sound scary. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. You didn't mention Miralax, so maybe that's another option, unless you have tried it already.

Good luck and keep us posted.

(((Hugs)))

Becky and AJ

12. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Miralax is AWESOME. I add 1/4 tsp per can + about <1/4c water. You have to give a bit too much at first to get things moving then very slowly back off. It draws water into the colon so the water is very important. We used SO many other things and this is by far the easiest and best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.