Kitty Surfs On!!!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sev, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Sorry to say no.
    I also replied to the other thread.

2. Jenn & Baxter

Jenn & Baxter Well-Known Member

I saw the thread after posting here. I am so sorry. I kept wondering about you guys. :sad:

3. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

+1068 @ 55

4. Jenn & Baxter

Good to see he is still going strong.
    Congratulations!

5. Teresa and Poopy

Teresa and Poopy Well-Known Member

I love seeing Kitty's greens. :D

Thanks for keeping us posted. :D

6. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

No problem.
    I think he has lost a little more weight. However he also appears to be tightening up skin wise from the rapid weight loss. Kitty is looking fit and trim for a senior feline.

7. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

PMPS +2280 @ 51

8. Jenn & Baxter

Sev so good to see you popping in with still amazing numbers! cat_pet_icon

Any sighting of Blue lately?

9. LOL, you did that in your head didn't you? Hope all is well Sev, thanks for dropping by!

Carl

10. Catannc

Catannc Member

Just wanted to chime in that you are correct, fasting seems to bring on higher numbers.when going otj feed whenever you see numbers rising, it reminds the p that it needs to do its job!

11. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Unfortunately not recently.
    I'm still hoping she is out there somewhere. The neighbors around here have all sorts of livestock including chickens and Guinea Hens. Nothing seems to be bothering them.
    As a matter of fact I had a small flock of Guinea hens following behind me yesterday when I was tilling. Imagine my when I looked behind me.

So anyway. I am thinking she ran away for some reason.
    The only sticking point is that we have not seen the orange cat that showed up periodically. Of course its owner may have started to keep him inside or perhaps moved. So it may not be indicative of anything.

12. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

HA!

Nah I am still updating Kitty's SS.

13. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

I have been having trouble getting Kitty to eat consistently. I have had to feed him fresh turkey and tuna as he has been turning his nose at a lot of food he previously enjoyed.

He would not touch the EVO first. Then he stopped eating the Wellness. Except the Chicken & Herring mix.
    I am down to Merrick.
    He stopped eating cowboy cook out.
    So now I am feeding him the the Before Grain series as well as Surf & Turf, Ocean Breeze, Grammy's pot pie and Southern delight.

I have to mix it up because it seems if he has one to many times he wont eat it. Except for anything with seafood. I hate feeding him fish so often.

14. Catannc

Catannc Member

Have you considered trying the raw diet? It's not something I normally suggest because of the time involved and easier options being available, but if he's eating fresh meat and you want him off the fish it may be a good thing to try. I vary the flavor of it a bit by sprinkling crushed freeze dried treats on top so she doesn't feel like she gets the same thing each day.

15. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

I have thought about it. The budget has been tight and we had light tuna on sale for .68 can. I only usually give it as a treat. However when I saw he didnt eat all day a couple times I got concerned.
    Starkist has got to be better than the cheap cat foods even with the concerns of heavy metals.

16. Catannc

Catannc Member

I would be concerned about a primarily tuna diet, being a larger carnivorous fish they tend to absorb a lot of mercury and I would worry about feeding that on a daily basis. Even humans are warned about consuming too much tuna. If you watch your grocery fliers you should regularly see chicken quarters for $0.69 a pound, and if you clip coupons there are always sunbeam and natures own coupons for vitamins which regularly go on sale BOGO so if you shop smart it can be very cost efficient. My farm fresh has 10 lb bags of chicken for $6.96 all the time, and with coupons the vitamins are almost free when you have a grocer that doubles $1 coupons and they are BOGO. A month's worth of food runs me under $10, so it's cheaper for me to feed her raw than canned and she eats it better too.

17. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

I'll check the chicken prices.
    The one thing I am concerned about is the lack of turine in his diet at the moment.
    Kitty looks great right now for a senior cat. No saggy flesh or stomach. He's high and tight. :smile:
    He is leaping and jumping from point to point now like he has not in years. He made a leap the other night and he looked like he was just floating in the air. :D
    His coat is nice and glossy as well. I would like to keep that healthy look and springiness.

18. Catannc

Catannc Member

I was just at walmart, and they sell 10lb bags for $6.99. For the supplements you can pretty much go anywhere, but get a highly purified fish oil made from small fish (anchovy, shad...not salmon or tuna). It'll say 99.9% purified somewhere on the bottle.

19. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Sounds good.

20. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Looks like we are back on track with Merrick.
    Sill going to supplement with chicken and turkey though.

21. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

AMPS +2724 @ 61

22. So what are you thinking, Sev? Maybe a .1 or .2?

LOL, great to see you!

Carl

23. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

HAHHAHA!!!

Kitty needs his booster shots.
    I figure I will take him to the first vet for some mini ha ha"s :D

24. Jenn & Baxter

Oh that would be great...you could walk in...
    "Hi there...remember me & my dying cat Kitty & all the super non terrific advice you gave us. You can tell us congratulations as you look at our behinds as we walk out your door." SEE YOU SUCK-ERS!! :lol:

Hi Sev good to see you! Glad things are still going well! Any sighting of Blue?

25. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

:D

No. No sighing of Blue. Have never seen the orange tabby that used to come over occasionally. Not sure if there is a correlation or not.
    Brenda is suspicious of the neighbor that was next door. He was a bit of a loon and had chickens. I'm pretty sure he would have been complaining about cats as he was always complaining about raccoon, snakes and everything else that might bother his chickens.

26. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

On Kitty's Passing.

A final post for Kitty. :YMSIGH:

+4188

I believe his diabetes was in permanent remission. Even with administering 2 different steroids and the tumor that finally took him from us his numbers stayed green.
    Kitties spreadsheet will stay on Google until they remove it.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... BaHc#gid=3

It is my hope that the permanent participants of the forum will use it to give incentive and hope to new members who have discovered their precious friend is in distress.
    If for nothing else to point out just how colorful a spread sheet can become and still end it the most positive result that could be expected.

I would just like to give a separate thank you to everybody in this section of the site. Your help with administering the Prozinc was invaluable.
    He received his last insulin shot on my birthday in January. At least for a few months his life quality was better than it had been in a long time. For that I am grateful.
    He was running, jumping and climbing like a young cat. It was amazing to witness. I never suspected that his time would be so short after overcoming such a hurdle. Especially since there was no evidence of a tumor when I brought him in for a physical around Christmas.
    I just cant help but think I failed him in not bringing him for a follow up physical. However he never had any problems with tumors in the past and I never suspected he would.

I am now armed with knowledge for the future for both treating diabetes and ensuring that any futures pets I may have receive a healthy nutritious diet from day 1.
    I also know know to get right on top of any sudden shifts in behavior at least as far as a feline is concerned.

I will carry on the fight by referring people to FDMB and the prozinc forum when I come across individuals who's pets need help.

Be well everybody.
    May all your companions remain happy and healthy till the end of their days.

27. Hi Sev,
    So much heartbreak this year.... I believe that you're right...Kitty was staying OTJ. Your and his story will surely serve as an inspiration to those than come here in the future. You fought not only the FD, but a host of other conditions getting that little guy into remission. And your spreadsheet? Nobody will ever fill one in any more completely. ;-) It's a testament to the love you felt for the little guy.

I didn't post this on Health, since it was sort of an inside joke...
    But in the end, Kitty sure did turn out to be quite the Grandfather Clock, pal. I grew up in a town called Grafton, MA, and it's the birthplace of the Brothers Willard. Not sure if you've ever heard of them, but I'm pretty sure they'd have been impressed with your "clock making" skills. Stay well, my friend.
    http://www.willardhouse.org/

Your losses this year pain me Sev. My heart goes out to your and yours.
    Carl

28. Doug N Libby

Doug N Libby Well-Known Member

Sev,

I'm so sorry to hear your news. I pray you are comforted by your memories of your time together.

Libby (& Hershey, too!)

29. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

You can bet we will use your spreadsheet, Sev. It is truly amazing.

Please don't blame yourself for his last illness. Cats are so good at hiding pain and discomfort. You saved his life! There are hundreds of cat owners every day who decide the diabetes diagnosis is too much work and they have their cat put to sleep. You are the opposite of that cat parent. You decided on day one you would figure this out and do everything you could to make him better. And you succeeded in spades!

Glad you may be one of the FDMB nags who accost people buying dry food in pet stores :mrgreen: We need lots of those!

30. Jenn & Baxter

Sev, it brings so many tears to my eyes thinking about the loss of Kitty.
    I will not ever forget you & Kitty. You story is unforgettable!!

Take Care my friend!
    Jennifer

31. dmartini4

dmartini4 Well-Known Member

My heart goes out to you
    You are in my prayers

32. Angela&Henry

Angela&Henry Well-Known Member

Sev,
    I just got on here and read about your loss of Kitty.
    I'm so very sorry.
    You did so much to give Kitty a good quality of life in the final months of his life and your story of getting him off the juice is an inspiration to us already here on PZI and for new members just joining.
    You did everything right; cats hide illness very well.
    But from all your reports his last months were very happy.
    Fly free home to RB dear Kitty. rb_icon

33. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Thank you all so much.
    Its been a rough. I thought he was rallying for a while.
    I am positive what I was administering was starting to work. However his little body had wasted away to much for him to continue the battle.
    Dam. Somebody must be chopping onions again.

34. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Thanks Carl.
    I just wish I could rewind this particular clock.

35. Ginny & Alex

Ginny & Alex Well-Known Member

Sev,
    My thoughts and prayers are with you in your loss of Kitty. wings_cat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.