Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sugar_rush

sugar_rush Member

This is Lara and Ben, Kiwi's parents.

Kiwi is a male black cat, roughly 9 years old (I took him in as a stray in 2008) and was diagnosed on 10/14/17. His highest weight was 17.6 pounds, but he is now about 15 pounds.

Kiwi has been prescribed 3 units of Lantus twice daily. He is eating Fancy Feast Classics, Purina Diabetic Management dry food and Halo Liv-A-Littles Chicken Treats.

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Kiwi. Your Mom and Dad probably have lots of questions, none of which are "stupid". After a day or so here you can post general questions on Feline Health/The Main Forum and more specific questions about Lantus on the Lantus forum.
    Has is weight stayed at 15 or is it continuing to fall? Does he have any other medical conditions no matter how insignificant? What's it like at home, other cats or dogs? Are you happy with your vet?
    In short, welcome to the group. This is the best place to be.

3. sugar_rush

sugar_rush Member

Hi! Thanks for your reply.

No, Kiwi doesn't have any other known medical conditions. He has no teeth at all - they were removed over time due to dental disease.

His weight is continuing to fall and he's not eating. We have no other pets.

Yes, we're happy with our vet at this point.

4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Time for phase 2
    Put a little more info into your profile page, especially where in general you are and what time zone. That can make a difference. It doesn't have to be personal and if it is keep an eye on your privacy settings. It's not Facebook so there's no worry's there. If you're ever in a panic people can look at your profile and get info you might leave out in a 911 situation. You can also use the software here to post Kiwi's spreadsheet and that's another way your vet or an emergency vet can see his spreadsheet.
    Start a new post in Feline Health with your primary concerns; Kiwi's teeth (and how he lost them, his history as a stray, what and how much insulin and especially his weight loss issues and his diet.
    Zoom! You're on the way. The big yellow cat to the left is Noah, brother of Nigel our first diabetic cat. Lots of smart people here, some with medical backgrounds and a long history of diabetic cats.

5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Are you home testing? That's a large starting dose. Especially if he is not eating well. Look at the stickies for information on Lantus and preventing hypos or what to do if it happens.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  6. sugar_rush

sugar_rush Member

Yes, we are home testing. We have done pre shot, 4 hour, and 8 hour tests. BG hasn't dropped below 400. Sticking to 1 or 2 units depending on his eating for now. We have been reading up... good stuff!

7. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Lara & Ben and your sweet little boy, Kiwi! :cat:

8. sugar_rush

sugar_rush Member

Thank you!

9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.