Lactated Ringer's Question.. (yellow fluids?)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ToddyTiger, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

Sorry folks, I have another silly question.

The new vet gave me a new bag of fluids on Tuesday, but I am a little confused by the way they look.. silly, I know.

The bag our regular vet gave us was clear and by a company called Hospira. I used that bag up and will now need to start the bag the new clinic gave me...

The new vet/clinic gave me a bag that has (bright) yellow fluids ( Lactated Ringer's Injection USP on bag, like the other). The company that makes it is called Baxter of Toronto Canada.

Is that ok?... I've never seen yellow fluids before. I need to start this new bag, and this is what I have. I thought the vet tech said that it had something in it that made it yellow. I just want to make sure it's ok before I give it.

Thanks!

2. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

Ok.. got a hold of the vet (I asked here because I didn't get an answer when I tried calling them)

So I got the answer to my question. They (the vet) put vitamin B complex into the fluids, which make the fluids bright yellow in color. I was told they do this because when you give a kitty fluids, it can flush the b vitamins out of their body. So ok.. that works for me. hehe

Anyone else ever get something like that from their vet?

3. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

normally i wouldn't put them in the fluid bag itself -- i'd put it in the tubing towards the end of giving subQs (so you're giving it into the fluid pouch under their skin because it stings to inject the B complex directly into them).
    be careful to keep the fluid bag in a cool dark place like a closet, drawer, or closed cabinet so it will stay effective longer.

4. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

Thank you for the info! I was told they do this with all of their fluids, so I guess it's ok. After researching a bit, I did find one website talking about adding B Complex right into the bag. So I suppose others do this as well.

Aside from the possible sting, having it already in the bag should be ok... I guess.

I was just worried about why it was yellow. That was kinda freaky.

And yeah, I've been keeping it in the closet in the bathroom.

5. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

yep you've been told by now, b vitamins.

our first bag with my late Kitty had them in it and it stung too bad for her. she reacted to the sting too much so we switched to the clear fluids.

with my late Spazzie i added them thru one of the ports on the line and she had no problem with them if i did them far enough up the line they got diluted with the fluids.

one of those each cat is different things probably.

and yeah, darkness keeps the b's effective longer :)

6. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

I gave him the new fluids with the B complex mixed into the bag, and no reaction.. as in, he didn't care. I don't think it stung him at all. When I started him on B12 injections several months ago, I was told he was going to probably get upset when I gave them, because they stung so bad. No reaction with that either. He's a pretty calm, cool kitty. :D

7. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

I always put BComplex in Merlyns subQs. He didnt seem to mind them that way.

8. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Ever heard of a Banana bag? :lol:

A banana bag is a bag of IV fluids containing multivitamins. The bags typically contain multivitamins, thiamine and folic acid, sometimes magnesium sulfate, and are usually used to replenish nutritional deficiencies or correct a chemical imbalance in the human body. Most often they are used for alcoholics who need thiamine to prevent Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome. Multivitamin solutions as found in banana bags usually have to be administered within 24 hours of being mixed because the solution is unstable once mixed, and the benefits of the solution after that time period are far less predictable.Multivitamins are yellow in color, which is what makes the fluid yellow, hence the term "banana bag". Banana bags are also known as "rally packs".

9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

It is common to inject vitamin B in subQ bags. However, the Vit B breaks down under light so ensure that you store the bag in a dark place.

10. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

B12 doesn't hurt. i inject that directly into cleo and harry. but the B complex is a different story. it stings/burns like the dickens. figure putting it in the bag means it won't last as long, but no sense wasting it. just if there's a next time i'd just do the fluids and then about half way done or so add the B complex to the port near the bottom of the tubing.

11. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Years ago, when I had to give my cat Rascal fluids, they also put vitamin B in his bag. It has been so long since I thought about it, but now that you mentioned it, the fluid was yellow also.

12. jenny

jenny New Member

For what it's worth.....

I purchase my crf kitty's lactated ringers at Costco...a case (12 bags) is around $24.00 whereas my vet must charge me this for a single bag.

If you need the vitamins added you can take your bag each time and have your vet add to it before administering.

It takes a script for Costco to be able to order the ringers as they do not carry them in store but will order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.