Lactulose for constipation???

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anyname, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyname

Anyname Member

On another post someone called Terri1962 said that Lactulose isn't a good way to treat constipation in FD kitties because too much sugar in it. I was told to use it regularly but I only use it every few days - I especially use it when LB's numbers go up too much. I don't know whether he poops or not as he likes to take his big jobs to the neighbours yard! I can often tell if he's been though coz he has dirt on his back feet. But he's had issues in the past and the cattery where he stayed for a month last August said he had blood on his poop and it was dry and hard. The cattery guy thought the constipation was causing the high numbers.

LBs numbers are pretty ordinary but when I give him Lactulose he can have scarily low numbers a day or two after taking it.

I'm thinking of giving Lactulose liquid every day - to see if this might bring his numbers down in a more constant way. I am not sure if I can get Miralax(?) in Australia. The Lactulose is easy to administer but he doesn't drink water. Yesterday I squirted water into his mouth. I want to know what the forum folk think of me giving him Lactulose (trade name Duphalac in Australia)

thanks
    Marilyn
    ps my SS is up to date but must look at the one under Little Boy

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Lactulose only contains a little digestible sugar. Most of it is indigestible and does not raise BG.

Lactulose is a synthetic disaccharide in solution form for oral or rectal administration. Each 15 mL of Lactulose solution contains 10 g Lactulose (and less than 1.6 g galactose, less than 1.2 g lactose, and 1.2 g or less of other sugars). Also contains water. The pH range is 3.0 to 7.0.

3. Anyname

Anyname Member

So Larry, does that make it ok for every day use? Do you use it for your kitties at all?

4. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: Happy New Year, Marilyn and Tiny Guy!

Binks had higher bg's when he was constipated...Pat noticed it with her two as well, and always referred to
    "The Magical Poo"

Hope this year brings happiness, health, and at least a smile a day to you!

celi

5. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Sorry for this thread hijack --

Larry can you access your PMs? I wrote you a long detailed reply a few weeks ago and it still hasn't been read. Let me know and I'll try to resend somehow.

6. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

If you would like to try Miralax, the generic name is Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) 3350. I have also seen it listed as macrogol 3350.

7. Anyname

Anyname Member

Celi, I can have a smile every day just by reading one of your posts! You nature is so positive!

Would be interesting to take a survey to see how many kitties constipated - and see if the bgs are higher than they ought to be.

Karen, thank you for the chemical name of miralax. I will check my my pharmacist.

8. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of Lactulose:

Sticky, messy, expensive, and some cats won't take it (you can mix into food). Rx required.

Mirilax is very cheap. 1/8 to 1/4 tsp mixed into wet food 2x/day. Tasteless and odorless.
    Add additional water to the mix.

Most large drugstore chains have their own generic version "polyethelyne glycol".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.