? Lancet device broken

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sue484, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Hi. My Alphatrak lancet device is broken. Do the Alphatrak lancet needles fit the Freestyle device does anyone know?

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Sue,

I use Freestyle lancets in my Alphatrak lancing device. They're identical - and way cheaper than the Alphatrak-badged boxes (either from ebay or Amazon - check when ordering to see which site has the best price).

Mogs

Mogmom and Goofus likes this.
  3. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Thanks @Critter Mom. I can't see a device on Amazon UK that looks like the Alphatrak though. There are plenty of strips, but I need the device.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried freehanding it? I never did like the devices as well as freehand because I couldn't see where the point of the lancet was as well so I wasn't ever sure where I was aiming

5. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

I'm too heavy handed to freehand it. I think I would go right through his ear!! I may have to try though if I can't get a device.

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

When we first started, I went through China's ear so many times I started thinking I should just buy her a pair of diamond stud earrings....LOL

You develop a feel for it

Lilian and Sue484 like this.
  7. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Lol. I'll give it a whirl. It's just I'm on holiday and my friend is testing the cats and she is needle phobic.

8. Critter Mom

I went hunting for a spare Alphatrak lancing device on ebay/Amazon a while back and they were stupidly expensive - almost the same price as a new starter kit.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Abbott-Freestyle-Lancing-Device-by/dp/B00WVPGEEI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1459489197&sr=8-2&keywords=freestyle lancing device

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/alphatrak-2-starter-kit.html

Perhaps try to persuade your friend that poking with the lancet is more like poking a balloon with a drawing pin than a needle?

Mogs

9. Critter Mom

10. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Did you end up buying a device or free handing @Critter Mom.

11. Critter Mom

My lancing device is working fine. I was just looking for a backup.

Because of my anxiety disorders my hands are shaky. I use the lancet in the device to steady it a bit but I actually freehand the poke (i.e. I don't use the button on the lancing device).

12. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

The starter kits from reading the reviews say the readings are the American way jot the UK way, so it looks like freehanding is the way to go.

13. Critter Mom

I posted the links to the meters because getting the lancet device as part of a full test kit might be cheaper than buying the lancet device on its own. Sorry for any confusion.

14. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

This happened to Goof and I on our "maiden voyage", I almost threw up on him! Poor cat. He yowled, I cried, I gagged. He gave me such a hurtful look, I'll never forget it. Could you just buy a new lancet device? I would think that any brand would be fine.

15. Critter Mom

Oh, dear! I don't know which one of you I feel sorrier for. :(

:bighug::bighug:

Mogs

Mogmom and Goofus likes this.
  16. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

Are we not supposed to go through the ear?

17. Critter Mom

Depends on the way the wind's blowing at the time ... ;)

I'd say plenty of us have managed to draw blood from ourselves as well as the cat. From the same poke. :oops: :rolleyes:

Mogs

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  18. Rescuemamaprays

Rescuemamaprays Member

Lol. Yep, I have done this.

Critter Mom likes this.
  19. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I just dug out all my lancing stuff to check: I have three different brands of lancing devices, including an AlphaTrak, and a bajillion different brands of lancets, and almost all of the lancet brands fit all the devices. For the most part they all seem pretty generic.

SquallieBear has very paper-thin ears, I end up going through his ear fairly frequently, no matter how hard I try not to, so I imagine it varies from cat to cat. I always put something behind the ear, cotton ball, folded paper towel, etc, so I hopefully don't end up sampling my own blood as well, lol!

Well, darn it, lol! Now I'm going to have to try the lancing device on Squallie. (I have always free-handed it, as I feel like I have better control that way)

Critter Mom likes this.
  20. Critter Mom

Squalliesmom likes this.
  21. Squalliesmom

Thanks! That's his "I'm lazy and I want you to pet me and feed me and care for me without my having to move a whisker," look, lol! It's his most oft-seen look, I think!

Critter Mom likes this.
  22. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Dottie and I have become blood sisters, I poked my own finger through her ear so many times before I got the knack of it:nailbiting: Even though she's :otj: I still test her bg once daily, because of the stomatitis..I'm afraid the stress will send her back into diabetes mode. Gotta keep an eye on her.

Critter Mom and Squalliesmom like this.
  23. Critter Mom

Squalliesmom likes this.
  24. Squalliesmom

He knows just how to wrap Mama around his little paw...

Critter Mom likes this.
  25. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Yep. Just gives you a chance to test yourself after you test your cat. ;)

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.