Lancet devices--found a good one

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Arkali, Aug 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkali

Arkali Member

I'm not sure if anyone else is like me--seriously inept with the lancing. Gypsy has dark ears, and since we just started, she's not an easy bleeder. I switched from the One Touch Delica because it had an opaque cap and the lancet itself was very fine. Started using a 28-gauge lancet with the device that came with my Relion. That was a bit better because there was a clear cap and the heavier gauge got a better prick, BUT--the cap was huge and the couple of times I tested myself, my finger was sore all frigging day.

Anyway, undoubtedly because of all the shopping I've been doing for diabetic supplies, or maybe someone here posted it, I found this Care Touch lancing device, and I LOVE it. The lancets are 30-gauge so not quite as ouch (though still a bit at the biggest depth setting), but the head of it is pretty small and I can aim a lot better. Gypsy appreciates the quicker tests :) Here's a link if anyone's interested--I figure it might help other new people struggling with testing. http://a.co/0pqy0TB

2. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't use the lancing device because of the clicking sound. Does this device have a softer click? What number do you set it on?

Arkali likes this.
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I don't use a device. I've never seen a need to.

Arkali likes this.
  4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

We tried to use a device when we first began testing, it didn't work. Tossed the darned thing and free handed it. I could see where the point of the lancet was going, I could control the angle. Idjit has dark ears too, we test on the edge of the inner, lighter side. But whatever works to get the job done. I'm glad you found something that works for you, Anne. That Gypsy is such a sweetie.

Arkali likes this.
  5. Arkali

Arkali Member

It's got a pretty pronounced click.
    I tried freehanding. I bungled it, and Gypsy gave me the side-eye and jumped. Not a delicate enough touch, I imagine. "Geez, Mom--you're not trying to pierce my ear!"
    @Bama Kitty Mom (AL) -- I had it on 9 (out of 10), but I'm dialing it back to 7 for the next test. I'll keep walking it back to where it's the shallowest but will still get the job done.
    @Idjit's mom --thanks! She really is a sweetheart. The vet's office said they were sad to see her leave and were going to miss her. She's definitely way more patient than I deserve :p

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have tried many lancet pens over the years. I like the one that came with the older One Touch meters. However, I worn those out, the screw threads that retained the cap wore out.
    I use/like the One Touch Delica. The 30 gauge work good while the thinner one also sold do not. I also have the one for the old AccuCheck, it is big but works great. I also liked the one for the old FreeStyle but I wore those out too,

Arkali likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.