Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Jamie or others who use the Lancet Pen,
    On another thread where Jon was asking for help, you advised Jon to use the Lancet Pen -- question for you! Does the pop scare the cat? I've been hesitant to use it for fear kitty will get scared. I've been freehanding with the Lancet Pen and the Lancet but not using the popper, if that makes sense. I think I am almost piercing her ear with freehanding. I feel so bad jabbing her, as she does flinch!

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I use the Lancet pen -- the "click" noise is not very loud. To get both you and your kitty used to the noise, during a petting session click it several times without poking.

Mine is about the diameter of my little finger and the sharp point is in the center.

When you poke kitty's ear, the clicker pen will be partially OFF the edge of the ear when the point is in the right spot to get blood.

You need to hold the ear firmly for the pen to poke - if you don't, the ear will move and not get pricked.

3. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Thanks Phoebe. Yes, I think I'd better practice first! I think I would be more likely to get blood with the Lancet Pet rather than me freehanding.

4. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Some lancet devices come with a clear cap that makes it easy to see exactly where the point will strike. I am a human diabetic and, from testing myself, I find that the lancet device actually hurts less than free hand. You get a much quicker poke and a consistent depth. Just my opinion.

5. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Thanks Karen & angus,
    I do have that clear cap, so that would also help. I'm sorry you have diabetes. I'm still new here, so you have yourself and your cat to take care of, too. I admire all of you. You all seem so experienced and helping us newbies.

6. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Sherri & Stash (GA) Member

We love the SoftClix that came with our OneTouch Ultra. Recently we had to change to the OTU Mini and it came with a different pen device. OMG! It's like using a harpoon even on the lowest setting. Stash has been tested daily for almost 3 years and he started running from us at test time! We went back to the SoftClix and life is good again.

7. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.