Lancets

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by seamist, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seamist

seamist Member

Sasha is doing well, and I am getting help setting up a spreadsheet for him. About lancets, I have gotten conflicting information. Are some designed for multiple use so they stay sharp? I don't want to have to change lancets with every shot, but I don't want to use a dull one either. The lancets that came with my relion micro say "single use only" I have used my CVS pharmacy lancet many times and it seems to still work fine.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Lancets are not expensive, u can usually get a box of 100 for under $10.
    I use to use them a couple of times before replacing them, then just replaced them after every poke.
    This helps the ears too and does avoid causing any irritation. They may still be sharp, but the possibility of causing irritation on the ears is there, not to mention maybe infection.

I would recommend you use a fresh one each time, now unless the first poke did not draw blood, then that's ok.
    Let's see what others say and you can go from there.

Glad to hear Sasha is doing good!

3. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Somewhere there's a link which shows microscopic pictures of what a needle looks like after 1 use. It's ugly! The same would apply to lancets most likely.

I recommend the BD Ultra Fine II lancets, 30 Gauge. You can get these and probably other lancets very very cheap on Ebay. Just use their email alert function so you get a heads up on new listings. I just bought 1200 lancets for less than $24! $2/box. Most sellers of these items are reputable, but always check feedback rating before bidding/buying.

4. seamist

seamist Member

I don't have time to change lancets. Most days I am so busy taking care of my toddler and disabled husband that I don't have time to take care of myself at all. So I need to find the quickest way to test blood glucose. If there is a multiple use lancet, that is what I need.

5. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

I don't know about a multiple use lancet, honestly, it's a needle and it will wear out and u risk irritation and infection.

when u go to test, you pull out a new strip for the meter, if ur supplies are all in one place, like a small container, why not replace the lancet at the same time?
    habit forming, get a new strip out of the box, get a new lancet, insert the strip, replace the lancet. give it a try at least. k?

6. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

If you are looking for a time saver, try using the lancet freehand - saves the time of inserting it into the device and them taking it out, plus you have more control over it.

I have only reused lancets twice each when I was running very low on them because I saw those photos of a needle before and after being used. The sharp tip completely curls over. I, too, imagine the same thing happens with lancets.

When I am "forced" to reuse them (more like, I forgot to buy more), I always pour a little rubbing alcohol into the cap and recap them, then when I go to use it i uncap it and make sure it is completely dry before poking. Not exactly a time-saving process.

7. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

my 2 cents worth...

I use a fresh lancet each test time because of sterility / cleanliness

I buy the inexpensive ones from Hocks $1.49 per 100.
    http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... 10030.html

Lancets are solid wire with a sharp end.

Needles are HOLLOW wire with a sharp end.

SO ---- the same size Lancet is going to be tougher / stronger than the same size (gauge) Syringe needle because the GAUGE is the outside diameter size - and doesn't take into account solid or hollow.

The picture showing how the needle get dull after one use really does not apply to Lancets.

I would NEVER reuse a syringe because of the dulling of the point, but would consider reusing a lancet and sometimes do on Curve Days where we are testing many times in one day.

8. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

There are some lancet devices that uses a drum of lancets instead of individual lancets. AccuChek MulitiClick is one. The drum contains 10 (I think?) lancets inside. Each time you use the lancet device, a new lancet is used (can't re-use a previously used one) and there is usually an indicator on the device that lets you know when the drum needs to be replaced. The drum is easy to replace and doesn't cost much more than regular lancets. Maybe that is something you can look into.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.