Lancing device suggestions....

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tecwmn, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tecwmn

tecwmn Member

Poor Fin...I have been hand lancing him and obviously doing it wrong. I realize now that I should be using a lancing device so I am not jabbing him too hard (which I think I was). He flinches and hisses when I touch his ears. I feel terrible and his little ears are probably bruised. Where else can I get blood from a cat besides the ears?

Also, now that I am aware of a device that 'controls' the jab....what devices do you use??

Thanks,

Barbi and Fin and C.C. and MiAmor (drooler)

2. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Most meters come with a lansing device but you can buy them seperately.
    I have been using the one from the One touch ultra. Walmart relion has one too.
    We use a very low setting on the dial 1 or 2 and the thin lancets at walmart are less than $4 for a box of 100.
    Hope this helps.

3. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

I actually never used the device. I felt I had more control just holding the lancet myself. DH preferred to use the device tho. He just used the one that came with our meter.

4. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

I like using a device. It is a personal preference thing - some people like it, some don't. When you are first using a device, you'll probably have better success if you use a higher setting (deeper prick). After you have some experience, you may be able to go to lower settings.

Which device is also a matter of personal preference. Try the one that comes with your meter, figure out what you do or don't like about it, and then come back and ask for suggestions based on particular features.

5. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

This is the only one I use.....easy, can re-cock it with one hand if you don't get blood right up so you can restick, uses BD UltraFineII lancets which I love. So far best price is at this site. http://www.typefreediabetes.com/Lancing ... o00580.htm It's the Soft TOUCH by AccuChek, not Soft Clix.

6. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

I like the AccuChek SoftClix. It's easy to use and hold.

[​IMG]

Several other people here like the SoftClix as well.

Instead of buying a lancet device, call the customer service department of the company that makes the lancet device and ask if they can send you one for free. Just don't tell them that you are using their product on a cat. I've gotten a replacement SoftClix for free when the one I had broke.

7. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I also use the Softclix device. I started out doing it by hand and my husband never did switch to the device since controlling the poke seemed easier by hand. I now get a pretty quick, clean poke with the device and Smokey seems to like it better.

8. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I really liked the way the AccuChek SoftClix device worked because you can re-cock it
    one-handed if you need a second poke.

But you have to purchase their brand of lancets....and they did not poke Smokey quite deeply enough
    even on the highest setting. I tried the generic ones that Hocks sells, but they seemed to be
    inconsistent in length and I had even more trouble with them.

So I switched to a Reli-On (WalMart Brand), with 'fine' (not 'ultra-fine') lancets.

I eventually got used to the two-handed re-set of the Reli-On lancet device.

I guess Smokey just had tough ears.

9. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Here's a lancet comparision chart: http://www.walgreens.com/marketing/libr ... ancets.jsp

True. Most lancet devices work with only their own brand of lancets. The chart above shows which lancets are compatible with other brands of lancet devices.

The SoftClix lancets are 28 gauge. I had my lancet device set on 2 and I always got more than enough blood for the Aviva test strip. Maybe my cat just had paper thin ears :smile:

Many lancet devices come with a clear "alternative testing site" cap that may help newbies better see where they are poking.

Do not ever buy the generic CVS lancet device. It's impossible to use :-Q It's hard to "cock" the device and as soon as you get that done, it sets itself off at the slightest touch. By the time you've gotten the thing all set and ready, your rice sock will be cold, the test strip you had partially inserted in the meter is no good to use because of prolonged exposure to air (most strips are only good for a few minutes outside of the bottle), and your cat is long gone and probably under a bed :roll:

10. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Do not ever buy the generic CVS lancet device. It's impossible to use :-Q It's hard to "cock" the device and as soon as you get that done, it sets itself off at the slightest touch. By the time you've gotten the thing all set and ready, your rice sock will be cold, the test strip you had partially inserted in the meter is no good to use because of prolonged exposure to air (most strips are only good for a few minutes outside of the bottle), and your cat is long gone and probably under a bed :roll:[/quote]

Hee..hee...

True, so true !!!

11. tecwmn

tecwmn Member

Thanks everyone! I swear every time I read this board I learn something new....like about the test strips only being good outside the bottle for a short time, didn't know that. After looking at the comparison chart from Squeem3, I went with the MultiClix with the barrel. And it does have the clear cap so I can see what I am doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.