Lancing Device Suggestions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rocky&Moe, Jan 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocky&Moe

Rocky&Moe New Member

I seem to be a little heavy handed when using a lancet so I started using the lancing device that came with my AlphaTrak meter. It's going better but I have a hard time seeing exactly where on his ear the lancet will prick him. Any suggestions around a different device or how you navigate this? When I touch my cat's ears, he thinks I'm doing it to scratch his head so he'll move his head around if I don't move quickly.

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Variable setting when using the lancet holder (device). It will take some experimenting to see which setting works best for you.
    Use the clear cap on the end, not the solid colored one.
    Get the lancing device ready to use, so less sound near his ears, and all you have to do is push the button to deploy.
    Place lancing device flat on the cat's ear, not angled like you would when you are free-handing the lancet.
    Use a strong light to see the sweet spot.
    A small flash light or your cellphone light on one side of the ear, lancing device on the other. Give you a hard surface to poke against too.

Not sure what to tell you on keeping your cat from twitching his ears or moving his head around.

Break the steps down to smaller steps? to get him used to the new way of doing things?
    Tell him to 'stay' or 'hold still please'?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.