? Lancing devices?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by buddhasmom, Mar 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buddhasmom

buddhasmom Member

Can someone please recommend brands of lancing devices? Also, I know I'm supposed to go w/ 25-28 size lancet to begin, but what depth do I set the lancing device to?

2. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Do you live in the US? If so, the Relion device from Walmart is very easy to use. I would start out using the highest setting (5), but once the ears get used to testing you can go down a notch or two. Keep in mind that the pokes don't hurt them..cats have less nerve endings in their ears than people do in their fingers. They don't like that you're doing something new and strange to them, and they can sense if you're nervous. So be confident, and make sure you give a diabetic safe treat after every test. :)

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The devices really aren't anything special, so get one that's cheap (the Relion)..all they do is hold the lancet and have a spring loaded mechanism that does the "poking"

A lot of us just freehand using just the actual lancet (I find it easier to aim it where I want it when I freehand) but the device comes in handy for others

4. ja9390

ja9390 Member

It will probably be much easier to free hand it. I never even used a lancing device on his ear. I tried with his back paw a few times but could never get any blood from him.

As long as that ear is warmed up and you aren't aggressive with the poking, he should barely feel it.

5. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

I have the relion lancing device and at the vet today they showed me how to use it for the ear. we ended up taking the cap off and not using the button at all just pressing the needle in the spot we needed gently and the blood came right up. this video gives a good idea

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I do similar with the Alphatrak lancet device. Works well.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.