Lantus Carts Expiring??

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Donna & Gabby, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna & Gabby

Donna & Gabby New Member

We bought 5 cartridges, we use one for well over a month. Gabby takes so little insulin that we still have 2.5 carts left but the expiration date on the box is approaching 1/21/10. Since the other carts aren't opened is the insulin still good???

Thanks,
    Donna & Gabby

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Generally, it's not recommended to use Lantus beyond the expiration date. I would have no idea how effective the insulin would be. If you can track down the coupon, there's free Lantus available until the end of the month. You'll need a prescription for the Solostar pens.

3. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

I bet it still will be good. Your numbers will tell you. You might want to have a backup on hand in case it was toast.

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

responded on your other post and included link to free lantus

5. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I can vouch for numbers letting you know that your Lantus is not working.
    I recently started a cartridge, my first as I was using a huge vial that I was sold by the pharmacy, and boy did it ever make a BIG difference in numbers!
    I have been led to expect any opened vial/cartridge to be good for around 28days or so, and the unopened ones, according to the pharmacist, should be good till that official expiry date on the package.
    But again, you can take that as likely, not definite. I bet a cartridge could last longer and be fine, or go bad before the 28days, or even be bad when you open it. The numbers should tell you what you need to know.

As with any expiry date, I would not use the item if it has expired, even if I was told it should still be good, especially when it comes to something medicinal. I toss expired sinutab and Contac C and cough syrups too.

6. Donna & Gabby

Donna & Gabby New Member

Thank you guys so much for the coupon link. And thanks for your replies. Helpful as always!

We will get the new and keep working with what we have until the numbers start telling us different!!

THANKS AGAIN!
    Donna & Gabby

7. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Several doctors have told me that the expiration dates on medications are quite random, and often meaningless. But it does vary a lot from med to med. I would say let the numbers tell you when it is losing its oomph and go from there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.