Lantus curve

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sara & Cats, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara & Cats

Sara & Cats Member

Hello,

Thomas was diagnosed February 5, 2018 and we are still trying to regulate his sugars after increasing insulin too quickly based on the vets advice.

He's currently on 2 units of Lantus twice a day. His lowest blood sugars seem to be right before getting his next dose, at +6 hours they are at their highest.

I'm wondering if, based on his spreadsheet, I should increase or decrease the insulin?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

First, congratulations on starting to test more often! It really is the key to knowing what's going on inside that furry little body!

I'd really suggest you get more tests on the PM cycle....most cats go lower at night so grabbing at least a "before bed" test is not only helpful for knowing what's going on, it could save his life.

Also, without getting tests on both cycles, you're missing half the data....and it may be the more important half

Can you vary when you get tests on the AM cycle? (Other than just the +6?) If at all possible, it's best to get tests at different points in the cycle until you learn things like when the onset is, when he usually nadirs and what kind of duration do you get?

Now, for your question, I think you could go up to 2.25, but I really would like to see more tests if you can get them....If you can't get tests on the AM cycle other than the +6, you'll need to try to get a couple of tests on the PM cycle (like +2 and "before bed") and then do a curve (test every 2 hours) on your next day off.

3. Sara & Cats

Sara & Cats Member

I've increased the insulin to 2.25 units. His numbers still seems to be high. I have some numbers from overnight and I'm in the middle of another curve. Wondering if I should change the insulin dosage tonight?

The more I research diabetes in the cats, the more I see how little information the vet gave me. I wish I would have had all the information I have now on the day he was diagnosed.

4. Juliet

Juliet Guest

It would depend on whether you are following SLGS or TR as to whether you'd increase and when.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.