Lantus dilution

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nada, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nada

Nada Member

My cat is on 2 units of lantus twice daily. His BGLs drop to 70 and then get to Hi before his next dose. He's been like that for a while now so I'm thinking about reducing his does to 1.5 units.

Unfortunately I can't find the 30 unit syringe with half markings and I've looked everywhere. I also cannot order one online because I live in Egypt and that would be extremely expensive when changing currencies.

The only available syringe is the 50 Unit BD syringe with a whole unit increments.

I know it's not recommended, but can I dilute Lantus before injection so I could manipulate the dose? Or should I just estimate the half unit and pull the plunger between the two lines as best I could?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

No, diluting Lantus isn't recommended. It's better to do the best you can with the syringes you have. You can make up a reference syringe to use as a guide. Draw up some coloured water, tea, etc. into the syringe to your best estimate of 1.5 u and use that syringe as a model to guide you when you draw up 1.5 u of Lantus.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Can you find digital calipers? This is a link to what they look like at least on the US Amazon site. We have instructions on how to use calipers to measure a dose. It may be a reasonable alternative if you can't find syringes that are easier when it comes to measuring a dose.

Steph & Quintus & L & O and Nada like this.
  4. Nada

Nada Member

Thank you for the suggestion. This is the first time I've heard of a digital caliper but I'm gonna ask around and see if it's available here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.