Lantus Help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by maggie, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maggie

maggie New Member

Hello again. Here are the numbers I got for Robby since starting hometesting. I'll put this on a spreadsheet when I have time but for now, here it is:
    Jan. 30,2010
    +12 AMPS 316 1 U
    +2 292
    +4 313
    +6 333
    +8 300
    +10 324
    +12 PMPS 318 1 U
    Feb. 7th & 8th
    +12 PMPS 376 1.50 U
    + 2 349
    +4 343
    +12 AMPS 347 1.50 U
    The type of Insulin I use is Lantus. I am currently giving Robby a shot of 1.50 U twice a day. The needles I use are BD Ultra-Fine, U-100, 1/2" in length, gauge = 29. The meter I use in One Touch Ultra. I have been using the small needles for the lancet device manually. Maybe later will use the lancet device. Robby is eating more and more wet food. I give him Hills I/D Prescription Diet (wet) which he likes (a lot!) and some Purina DM dry (this will be eliminated eventually).
    I think I have to be more patient and let the Lantus do it's work. I'll test him again on the weekend and do another curve. For now I'll take a little break. He seems comfortable and is acting normal.
    Thanks again for guiding me through all these ups and down.
    - Maggie

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Maggie

thank you for putting this together!
    Can I ask why the wet Hills I/D? Is there a health reason?
    Not sure what I/D stands for but I can tell you even as a wet food, that is a high carb wet food.

According to Janet's & Binky's food chart, this food is in the 24% carb range

http://binkyspage.tripod.com/canfood.html

If there is no health reason for feeding the Hills I/D, and you're vet sold it to you cuz thats what vets do -
    "buy this food, it's prescription" - sorry - but it's plain old kitty crack, and expensive unhealthy kitty crack.
    (venting there lol!)

The dry is no better unfortunately, but at least it's something you are working on!
    In my opinion, this may be the reason you are seeing high numbers - I'd like others to weigh in on this.
    But from what I've seen, there is remarkable improvement in BG numbers when switched to a low carb wet food diet (10% or less)

Please read thru Dr Lisa's link on transitioning to wet food safely. It is very important the high carb food, wet and/or dry is not remove cold turkey, as it could give u lower BG numbers along with the insulin.

http://catinfo.org/

You also really need to check for Ketones - again, I'd like others to weigh in on that.

Other than that, I am very proud of you for beginning to home test! And that you found this board.

3. Dillan420

Dillan420 Member

Hi Maggie,
    Congrats on being able to home test it took my GF and I a little while to get use to home testing but now Dillan is a superstar at getting them done especially compared to how he use to be. Dillan use to be on Hill's CD and MD DRY food though and it was one of the best moves that I ever did for him. I now feed him Wellness wet foods and he is doing amazing, I'm not saying that this will for sure work for Robby as well as it did for Dillan but it will definitely help him. When you go to eliminate the dry food make sure you get some advice from our pros in Lantus Land for they can help you do a safe transition. Anyways welcome once again to the forum.

4. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.