Lantus injection every 10 hours?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Fedya and Izzy, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Fedya and Izzy

Fedya and Izzy Member

Hello, everyone, lately I've been doing some research about different insulins and how they work just to get better acquainted with how Lantus and Insulins work. I stumbled upon Diabetic cat international http://www.diabeticcatinternational.com/knowledge/insulin-information-scales/
    and while reading the article it mentions how Lantus actually begins wearing off at around 8/10 hours.
    "Onset (when the insulin starts working) is usually around +3-+4. Nadir (when it is strongest and the BG lowest) tends to be around +6-+8 for most cats. It starts wearing off around +8-+10. Ideally, when starting TR at least, +10 dosing works best with Lantus"
    So, my question is does anyone else here on the forums dose their cat every ten hours with Lantus?
    I mean, what do you guys think of this info? If its better for Fedya to have insulin injections every 10 hours I'd be more than willing to do that but does anyone here have any experience with it?
    Again thanks to everyone's support and advice here!

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

10 hour dosing is very hard on caregivers as your shot time is constantly changing. In my seven years here, I have seen just a couple people try cycles less than 12 hours. And they were vary experienced caregivers with more than a year worth of data on their cats. It is way too early for you to consider shorter cycles as a possible option

As you get Fedya closer to a better dose, duration will be longer. For example, Yesterday during the AM cycle the insulin lasted almost the full cycle. And each cat will be a bit different. As an example, my Neko on Lantus did nadir once or twice at +13 and duration even later, but she was seeing a lot of green.

As I suggested in your last post, linked here for continuity, patience is your friend.

3. Fedya and Izzy

Fedya and Izzy Member

Oh alright if that is the case I'll continue with 12 hours injections, Thank you!

Tomlin and Sonia & Leo like this.
  4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Personally, I am always suspicious of organizations who do not post information about their leadership - even their FB page doesn't indicate members or moderators/admins. It also looks like the DCI group follows a version of TR that is hugely problematic for those of us who use a depot insulin. They use the dosing method developed by Elizabeth Hodgkins, DVM which does NOT support the use of high carb food if a cat is in low numbers. Personally, I have a huge problem with that stance. And frankly, there are other groups that use this same method and cats have died. Also note that their group was developed in 2014. We've been around a lot longer. (I've been hanging out here for 10 years and people like Jill & Alex predated me.)

There is a difference in what they are stating vs the information here. Lantus onset is often at around +2 and nadir at around +6. As Wendy noted, this can vary widely so tailoring the information to your particular cat is essential.

Bron and Sheba (GA) and Tomlin like this.
  5. Lita

Lita New Member

Hi,
    Just as it is always better when the information is correct:
    - The DCI FB Group very clearly lists the admins
    - The Senior Members on the forum are very clearly noted
    - While DCI was indeed founded in 2014, the owner has been involvd with FD (3 FD cats of her own) and with various forums since 2009... so for 10 years.
    - Yes very low numbers are dealt with by giving first normal food, then higher but still low carb food - if the cat is showing any signs at all of a clinical hypo, high carb food will be recommended. No cat has died for at least the last 10 years on any TR forum using that method.

Again, just so the information is correct - I am not trying to push people here to move to DCI.