Lantus or Levemir from Novolin N?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kimmied, Oct 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimmied

Kimmied Member

I should have Hank completely on the new low carb dry kibble on Friday. His numbers are lowering so I am adjusting the insulin dosage. This morning was 3.5u. The plan is as soon as he's on the new low carb kibble I'm going to try the wet food again.

I still would like to switch his insulin. I'm leaning towards the Lantus Solostar pen cause my pharmacy will sell one pen at a time to me. But I just don't know...what about the Levimer Flex pen? So what are some adv. and dis-adv. of Lantus vs. Levimer? I would ask the vet but he doesn't want me to switch insulin...yet. I'd like a little more info. so I can make a decision and talk to the vet when I'm ready.

My goal for Hank is not for him to be regulated around 225 (that's what vet says) but to be in remission. It may take a while or it may not but I want to try. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.

Kimmie

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you can get Levemir, the pH is neutral, so it is less likely to sting. (Some cats react to the lower pH of Lantus)

There is a coupon program for Levemir at $25/pen; I don't know if folks have had success using it or not.

You may be able to get either for less from Canada.

p.s. I'm roughly 2 hours away from you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.