Lantus or prozinc ?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Priscillalea, Apr 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Priscillalea

Priscillalea Member

Hi everyone, Have not been on her in a few years. Hannah Glory is still with me and is on 0.5 units of Lantus every 12 hours. She was diagnosed in 2007 and has done very well for an old Lady. We have some other issues going on but right now I have a question. I use Lantus and really like it and it is what I am used to, but I have a friend whose kitty was just diagnosed and the Vet put her on Prozinc, I am not familiar with this insulin, but she has been ordered to give 6 units twice a day...Now that would be a huge amount with Lantus but what about prozinc...I want to help her but do not know enough about it...Am an expert on Lantus, I sent her here and she read some but just for my own info, what is the best and how is it used differently ?

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Priscilla :bighug: ,

It's almost impossible to predict which insulin will be best for our kitty. It's a matter of 'trial and error'. But Hannah Glory's numbers on the SS have had a remarkable consistency to them, so it looks like Lantus has been a good insulin for her in the past. The numbers on your SS look pretty nice (and very consistent). Has something changed since you last updated the SS...? Any possibility of infection? Other health issues....? Change in diet....?

Eliz

3. Priscillalea

Priscillalea Member

Actually I was asking for a friend, her kitty is newly diagnosed and she wanted my help but I know nothing about Prozinc so was just wondering which you all think is better or should I just tell her to listen to the Vet and not try to help her ? Probably that would be safer for her...was just wondering which insulin was the best..

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Duh! Silly me! I am SO sorry. It feels it's been like a loooooong day.....and I am so tired....and in need of Chardonnay....;)

Yes, you're right. That is a high dose...with any insulin....
    However, some cats do need high doses.

Does your friend hometest? If so, can you post any results? And if not, is there any recent data from the vets BG tests? Or.....are you able to teach her to hometest....?

Regarding which insulin is best, it's really a 'horses for courses' thing; what may be best for one cat won't be best for another.

Key differences are that (according to experiences here) Lantus is best dosed every 12 hours and is dosed according to the lowest number of the cycle; while Prozinc doesn't have quite the same depot properties and so can be more flexible with regard to when the shots are given and what the dose is. (Some folks give Prozinc on a fixed dosage, and some give it on a sliding scale dosage.)

Eliz

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  5. Priscillalea

Priscillalea Member

Oh yes..Chardonnay, sounds wonderful..Actually I was at her home today and was teaching her about home testing, and she and I will work on that...she is going to get on this site soon and join the group...Thanks so much and have a great day !!!

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Your friend should not start so high unless she is feeding high carb dry and /or canned food. I'd start with 1 unit and home testing to see how she responds.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    Priscillalea likes this.
  7. Spike's Mom

Spike's Mom Member

Wow 6 units. I would have to agree with BJM that is a lot of insulin. As you can see from my posts today the over medicating can be very frustrating.

Priscillalea likes this.
  8. Priscillalea

Priscillalea Member

That was my feeling also, so I will pass that on to her...thx everyone and will remind her to join here

Spike's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.