? Lantus pen (Solostar) transfer to vial??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Christy Fetzer, May 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christy Fetzer

Christy Fetzer New Member

Hi~
    New to this forum and have found so much wonderful information. My 14 year old cat, Abby, was recently diagnosed and has been on Prozinc for about 2 months and is doing okay, but doesn't bring her numbers down enough or too much (1.0 unit to 1.5 then back down to 1.0). I asked the vet about Lantus and she agrees a switch might help. I got the 3ml Solostar pen and read some differing views on it (refrigerate, don't, etc) and then drawing up the needle and some of the concerns (don't push insulin back in, etc).....and she offered to transfer the insulin into a sterile vial. Has anybody done this? Is it okay to do it?

Thank you!
    Christy

2. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

According to the LANTUS & LEVEMIR - SYRINGE & INSULIN INFO: HANDLING, DRAWING, & FINE DOSES sticky in the Lantus and Levemir forum: "Lantus and Levemir should NOT be repackaged and resold by the vet. If you are buying repackaged insulin from your vet, even if it was transferred into a sterile container, its efficacy and longevity may be questionable."

So I wouldn't have it transferred into a vial. If you would prefer to work with a vial, I believe you can buy Lantus by the vial, but it's not as good a deal as the pens.

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

You only need to use the pen like it is a miniture vial. Do not use the pen needles, instead use your syringes to pull the insulin out of it.

tiffmaxee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.