? Lantus Pen storage

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by jerzgrrrl72, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerzgrrrl72

jerzgrrrl72 Member

Hello, Everyone,
    I was given a Lantus Solostar Pen about 2 weeks ago, and was told it did not need to be refrigerated--that only un-opened ones and vials needed to be refrigerated. I have been keeping it in a ziplock bag in one of my kitchen cabinets. Now, I'm reading some places that it should be kept in the refrigerator, even though it is open/currently in use. What is the best practice for making it last? Obviously, I don't want it to go bad any quicker than in absolutely has to, especially since we are using such a low dosage amount. Thanks!

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

We keep our pens in the fridge, as long as we are using syringes to withdraw the insulin. I believe refridgeration harms the pen needle mechanism. We don't use the pen needles with cats, but humans do. That might be the source of the conflicting information you see. That plus humans use up the pen so much faster than us, so they don't care about it lasting longer. I'd put the pen in the fridge.

jerzgrrrl72 likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Keep it in the refrigerator to make it last as long as possible.

Humans go through them quickly, so it's not as important that they stay cold.

Since we also don't use the special needles designed to go with them, we don't worry about the problems with the mechanism (the manufacture says not to refrigerate open pens due to the mechanism sticking)

4. jerzgrrrl72

jerzgrrrl72 Member

I'll start keeping it in the fridge from here on out. Thanks, Everyone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.