Lantus Pens Questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Valerie and Herbie, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valerie and Herbie

Valerie and Herbie New Member

I, too, just picked up my FREE Lantus pens - woo-hoo! Yes, the pharmacy said it would've cost about $220! My vet wasn't aware of the coupon, either, so was glad to hear about it. Now - questions.

1) Am I correct that I just use it as I use the vial? Tip it upside down, insert syringe, and fill?

2) Interestingly, the box says "Store refrigerated ...", then it says "SoloStar pens in use must not be stored in the refrigerator". So - does that mean that I leave the one I'm using out on the counter? Curious.

Thanks - Valerie and Herbie

2. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

Hi and welcome!

Yes, you are correct that you will use the pen like a vial. Just remove the cap at the end, stick the needle through the rubber stopper part, and draw the dose. Do not inject any air before drawing out the insulin.

Keep even the one in use in the refrigerator. Most kitties will not go through the insulin as quickly as a human would, which is where the recommendation for leaving the in-use pen out of the refrigerator is from.

Check out the Insulin Support Groups also. Click on the Lantus forum and read the stickies about handling/dosing/etc. You'll find lots of great information there.

Hope this helps!

3. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

First yes you use it like the vial, except DO NOT inject air into the pen, just stick the needle and draw the dose.

Keep all Lantus refridgerated. Unopened as well as the in-use one. Lantus will keep for about 28 days if stored at room temp (opened or unopened) then it is toast. If kept refridgerated UNOPENED ones will last until the experation date on the box. Opened (in-use pens) if refridgerated CAN last longer than 28 days, by keeping them refridgerated you might get longer use from them.

Please see the STICKY in the Lantus Group http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=151 which will explain all of this plus tell you what signs to look for if your insulin should "go bad".

4. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

and do not inject ANY over drawn insulin back into syringe. this insulin reacts with the plastic in the syringe and injecting insulin back into pen can ruin the whole enchilada. you have to squirt excess out in sink or someplace

5. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Sherri & Stash (GA) Member

We activated our first SoloSTAR cartridge on 11/19/2009 - so we are going on six weeks now. Store it in the fridge and be gentle with it!

6. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Our experiences in the German forum showed that most people could use thier pens/cartridges for much longer (most for about 4-6 months). Unless of course they were used up before that! Kept UNrefridgerated at room temp however it doesn't matter if it's opened or not, it will last ONLY a month. Best to keep all in the cold (just be careful of the temp. Lantus should not be frozen).

One of the big plus points for Lantus/Levemir for humans is that it can be kept at room temp. The pen design is not only easy to use but convient to transport, in a purse or whatever. In the "old days" ;) diabetics had to plan carefully when traveling or even just going out to dinner or work, they needed to carry fragile glass vials, syringes and cool packs etc. Sticking an insulin pen, needle etc. in a purse is way better. Most adult diabetic are shooting upwards of 20U per day (convient also is that Lantus for humans is normally just once a day before bed) a pen will be used up before the 28 day expiration so they don't worry about it. Another reason is that injecting a but-load of cold insulin under the skin hurts, so having it warm is more comfortable. The tiny doses that most cats are on reach room temp. by the time we get it drawn into the syringe. To be sure just hold the filled syringe between your fingers for a moment before injecting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.