Lantus Solostar Pen has warning not to refrigerate??

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by EFKilroy, Mar 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EFKilroy

EFKilroy New Member

Hello,
    I have had a prescription for Lantus Solostar 100 Unit/ML pen since November 2017 for my cat.
    I was told by the Vet to refrigerate it and also see that other members keep it refrigerated.
    When I picked up the prescription today there was a warning on the paperwork that said not to refrigerate it after opening it.
    Has anybody else seen this?

Elizabeth (Kanika's mom)

2. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

The manufacturer suggests you keep the insulin stored in the refrigerator to preserve it until it is in use. They say not to refrigerate it once it's in use because the temperature fluctuations can interfere with the dosing mechanism of the pen. The pen is only good for 28 days at room temperature. Most of us keep our pens in the fridge and use them up because at much smaller doses, 28 days would leave a lot of waste. Most of us use syringes with the pen instead of the pen needles humans use, so we bypass the pen mechanism.

3. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Hello Elizabeth,

I always keep my Lantus pens refrigerated - opened or not.
    I have heard that " not to refrigerate after opening" warning serves the manufacturer goals only - do discard after 4 weeks and come in to buy a new one! We have/ can produce plenty of it for you!
    It could be true ...
    I know a lot of people here on who refrigerate, opened or not - and use their pens up to the last drop.
    I hope it helps.
    Lantus is so expensive it's better to take any precaution.

PS. The above is true if you draw your dose from a pen by a syringe.

4. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Humans generally have much higher doses than cats. The pens are a convenience for them. They can carry them around for 28 days without worry. Also, the insulin isn't refrigerator cold when they inject their large doses.
    Everyone here on the board keeps the opened pen in the 'fridge. It will last a long time, even with tiny doses. You can safely use it until it is empty if you keep it refrigerated.

5. EFKilroy

EFKilroy New Member

Thank you all. I get so confused.

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.