Lantus Started

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TreySpot, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TreySpot

TreySpot Member

Rusti is still lethargic but she has an appt to check for Potassium monday morning. Just switched her from Humulin to Lantus. Hope this keeps her more stablized. Still giving SQs morning and evening and syringe feeding.

Margie

2. TreySpot

TreySpot Member

Drat, not sure what I did wrong but can't post her numbers on the spreadsheet. Anyway, test read HI before the shot so will check it again in 2 hours.
    Margie

3. TreySpot

TreySpot Member

Her number was again HI at 12:00 so I gave her 0.5U and will check her again in another 2 hours.

4. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Hi Margie, welcome! Did you give Lantus again, 2 hours after the first shot? I'm not clear from your post whether you gave insulin once or twice.

5. TreySpot

TreySpot Member

Rusti was again reading HI at 2:00 pm so gave her one more .5U. Altogether now I have given her 2U - 1.0U at 10:00 AM / 0.5 at 12:00PM / 0.5U at 2:00PM. Missed her 4:00 reading (stuck in town) so I dont know what it was. However when checked at 7:00PM she is down to 357. Still syringe feeding and giving SQs.

6. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Margie
    Lantus is given 12 hours apart.
    I see that you are doing Trey a few times a day.
    You could be giving her too much insulin.
    I do not see prvious posts from you, if there are can you link them to this thread.
    It would help if you are able to get your ss working as well as a profile for Trey.
    Please go over to the Lantus board and read the "stickies" at the top and see how Lantus should be dosed.

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm glad Randi directed you to the Lantus Insulin Support Group.

Here's a link to the dosing protocol that we use for Lantus dosing. Lantus is dosed twice a day, 12 hours apart. I would strongly encourage you to get several tests in throughout the day to make sure that your cat's numbers do not drop too low.

8. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

This is Margie's previous post. Rusti is a very sick girl right now. As Margie said, she is going in on Monday for a potassium test.

Margie, you should be coming up on Rusti's shot time, if you intend to give her a 10pm shot. If you have questions once you see her PMPS number, you might want to start a new thread, because this time of night updates at the bottom of a thread can get lost.

If you are really concerned about her PS number and uncertain what to do, you can add a 911 icon (remove it after you get feedback). There are several very good people on the west coast who hang around this time of night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.