Lantus types, Confused

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Covert Ops, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Covert Ops

Covert Ops Member

Well, got bad news today. I thought boo had gone into remission. His numbers were steady around 100 for a week or so, now they have climbed back up to 250-300 . I had been previously been getting Lanutus in the 10mL vials but he was only getting 1-2 units max and I would have to keep it way past it's shelf life.

Is there a better way to get Lanuts from the pharmacist? I heard someone mention "5-pack of 3ml cartridges for Insulin Pen plus 2 refills (1 year supply)", what is that and how do they work? I need to call my vet for a refill and I want to get the most cost effect method of delivery and not have to worry about getting refills all the time (allot of vets try to milk you for a $65 house call just to give the refill).

Thanks

2. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Sherri & Stash (GA) Member

You want to ask for Lantus in the SoloStar pen cartridge. Your vet can write the prescription, and any pharmacist will fill it. Go to the Lantus ISG and read the stickies at the top of the page (starred items). You do not need the special needle attachment for the cartridge. You use a syringe to draw up the insulin.

Also, please remove the 9-1-1 Icon from your initial post. It is to be used for health emergencies only. There are other icons more appropriate for your question.

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi - Would you please remove the 911 icon from your post. The icon is reserved for emergencies, such as DKA or hypo or some other medical emergency that the poster needs assistance with. Please see the post at the top that further explains 911.

To answer your question, lantus comes in a vial, cartridge or solostar pen. Pictures of each are on the Lantus forum. Purchase of the pen or cartridge is what many recommend as they are smaller than the vial and therefore, the potential for waste is lessened.

It doesn't matter which container you purchase, as you will use it with the U100 syringe. It really comes down to price and availability. The solostar pens are the newest form and what many people purchase, as it tends to be the most cost efficient.

4. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Lantus is available in 3 different packages:

10 ml bottle
    [​IMG]

OptiClick cartridges designed for use in an insulin pen. It comes as a pack of five 3ml cartidges.
    [​IMG]

Pre-filled SoloStar insulin pens. A pen contains 3 ml of Lantus. A box contains 5 pens.
    [​IMG]

Any of these can be used with cats.

You do not need to use an insulin pen with the cartirdges or pen needles with the SoloStar pens. The cartridges and pens have a rubber stopper on one end, just like the 10 ml bottle, and you stick the insulin syringe needle right into that. The Lantus sticky has pictures of how to use the cartridges and pens: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=151

Here is a basic picture of how to use the SoloStar pen (or any other pre-filled insulin pen) for a cat.

[​IMG]

Your vet has to specify the type of Lantus packaging. Example: If you want the cartridges, the prescription can say something like "Lantus OptiClick, 5 x 3 ml".

The initial cost for the cartridges and pens are higher than a 10 ml bottle, but each box lasts 5 months. You use one cartrige or pen each month.

5. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Sherri & Stash (GA) Member

Actually, as long as you follow the safe handling instructions found on the Lantus ISG, you can get longer than 28 days out of a SoloStar pen. The trick is to be very meticulous about the handling.

6. Covert Ops

Covert Ops Member

Thanks for the info, and sorry for the 911 tag but this is an emergency to me because I have to get a script today for I am out of insulin. Where are the lantus forums?

7. squeem3

Go to the Board Index to see all the forums here on FelineDiabetes.com Click on Insulin Support Groups (ISG). Then choose Lantus (Glargine).

Here's a quick link to the Lantus forum: viewforum.php?f=9

8. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I wanted to add, don't despair about the numbers. If he stayed in the 100s on his own for a while, he may just need to go back on for a while. You'll like the pen option.

9. Covert Ops

Covert Ops Member

So I pretested him last night and his numbers were still high, I only gave him 1/2 unit of lantus and when I pretested this morning he was at 92. Is this normal? My only other issue with my diabetic is that he was on prednisone for IBD. My vet suggested weening him off of it to help keep him controlled and we have been doing that for a week or so around the time he went into remission. My new concern is he threw up for the first time and I am afraid I might have to keep him on a small dose of prednisone. I wonder if that is what is causing his values to fluctuate.

10. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

What was his test number last night prior to shot? And what dose did you give?

11. Covert Ops

Covert Ops Member

He was up to 284 and I gave him the first notch on a 3/10cc 30 unit needle. Is that a 1/2 unit?

12. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I do not understand what you mean by the forst notch. Are you using syringes marked in 1/2 unit increments?

Attached Files:

13. squeem3

Depends.

Are the insulin syringes you have half unit marked ones? It will clearly say so on the package (either as half unit markings or 1/2 unit markings) and the line markings on the syringe barrel will look like the ones on the left side of this picture:
    [​IMG]

If you are using just the whole unit marked insulin syringes (right side of picture above), the first line is zero but you don't count that. The next one is 1 unit. Then the next line is 2 units, then 3 units, then 4 units, then the line marked with 5 which is 5 units.

Here are close up pictures of how to measure insulin with a 3/10 cc insulin syringe: http://romlin.com/jock/SyringeFineGradations/ The picture shows a half unit marked insulin syringe. Whole unit marked 3/10 cc insulin syringes are used the exact same way, the only exception is that you have to eyeball where the half unit mark is.

This is what 1/2 unit looks like: http://romlin.com/jock/SyringeFineGrada ... 0016_1.jpg

This is what 1 unit looks like: http://romlin.com/jock/SyringeFineGrada ... 0012_1.jpg

14. Covert Ops

Covert Ops Member

Thanks for the pic, mine are like the ones' pictured on the left so I gave him a 1/2 unit so technically the second line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.