Lantus Vial or Pen?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Casey Warner, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Casey Warner

Casey Warner Member

Apparently I am having a serious brain fart. I could've sworn back in May when I was reading about insulin that I read something that indicated vials and pens can only be used up to three months. So I bought the pen because it was cheaper and because I didn't know how any of this was going to play out.

I need to get more insulin, but I missed the window to buy from Mark's. It just wouldn't get here in time. I honestly can't judge how much insulin is left. I've gotten 3 months worth out of one pen, but we started at .50U and worked up to 1U just recently. Plus, I'm not even sure Brownie will be here 3-6 months from now. So I'm wondering if I should get the vial or pen. I got a single pen from Walgreen's last time for $88. I forget how much the vial was, but it was over $110. Right now we're at 1U. I could gamble and try to place an order for the pens from Mark's, but with the holiday weekend I don't know how long that would delay shipping.

Any suggestions on what to get? I don't know what's wrong with me. Although I did get a combined total of 7 hrs sleep over two nights. That doesn't help anything. :(

2. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi...I use pens and buy the pkg of 5. Davidson was on 2.75-3u each dose and the pen lasted over a month. He’s now on 2.25u and will last more, with approx 25% going to waste when I’m getting rid of air bubbles and excess insulin in the syringe. The pens won’t go bad after 3months if not opened. That’s why pens are great,as you don’t have to open the ones you don’t use and they can stay over a year (pending expired dates). The insulin is bad or going off when it becomes cloudy.

3. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

If you can get a single pen from Walgreens for $88, that seems like about what i paid Marks for a single pen with shipping in a styrofoam container. Maybe get another single pen from Walgreens which buys you time to get the next from Marks. Plus it will be past the summer heat when you would need to order from Marks.

4. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Have you checked the "supply closet"? There are often several options especially for immediate needs.

Bronx's dad (GA) likes this.
  5. Casey Warner

Casey Warner Member

Thanks for the responses. I'll check the supply closet.

It seems like a lot of people here use the pen. Is there a reason for that? If the vial and pen can both last up to six months, then the vial seems like a better deal.