Lantus VS Humulin N

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by FoxThain, Aug 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FoxThain

FoxThain Member

So my kitty is on Lantus (1 until under skin every 12 hours) ((with a 2 hour window in either direction))
    This stuff is way to expensive for me to keep buying. Even if it last around 50 days ($6 a shot). Chewy's has Humulin N https://www.chewy.com/humulin-n-insulin-10-ml/dp/173551

How does it compare to Lantus? It seems to be the same stuff, but when I was picking up the Lantus they told me Lantus was the only brand out there and there was nothing else (no generics etc).

Now I haven't talked to my vet yet. My Walker goes back NEXT Friday for a follow up (started this a week ago) I haven't been doing at home testing either. Right now I'm having to shoot her and give her pills daily so it just seems a little evil to stick her ear right now too. Plus I'm all new to this and I don't want to stress her EVEN MORE.

Are there other brands out there you all would recommend aside from Lantus? I'd like to go in to the follow up with some really questions.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Definitely not the same thing! Humulin N is not long-lasting. It usually acts fast then wears off much sooner. The sticky on that forum says onset can start within an hour of the shot, peak can fall between 2 to 6 hours after (though usually between 3 and 5 hours after for most cats) and some cats only get around 8 hours of duration.

Vetsulin sounds like it may be a little better option. The sticky on that one says it is fast acting with peak somewhere between 3 and 7 hours after the shot, and it has a duration of 8 to 12 per that sticky.

Obviously, longer-lasting is generally better. ProZinc is a long lasting insulin. Lantus and Levemir are very long lasting.

3. FurBabiesMama

By the way, there is Basaglar which is glargine like Lantus is. Maybe check it out.

4. FurBabiesMama

You should consider home testing. It is really the only way to make sure she stays safe.. and the only way to really know how well the insulin dose is working. Often, people who start out not testing end up changing their mind once they experience a bad episode with their cat's blood sugar going to low. So, just re-consider. :) It becomes routine very quickly and is not stressful at all. This page has links to testing info: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

5. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Wait.... A Lantus pen (the smallest package sold) contains 300U, so you should get about 150 days (assuming a constant 2 x 1U / day dose for that whole time).

A vial contains 1000U, so that would be 500 days-- maybe that's what you have? It would fit more with the price quoted, I think.

I agree with FurBabiesMama-- don't give up on Lantus just yet, it's a great insulin for cats!

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Most of us are buying our Lantus from Canada because it's so much cheaper.

Here's the information on buying from Marks Marine in Canada

There's also no reason at all it needs to be thrown away at 50 days.....Most of us use our Lantus for 4-6 months (sometimes longer)

As long as it's cared for properly, it'll last much longer than the "recommended" time

7. FoxThain

FoxThain Member

My bottle is 10 mL vial or 100 units. (I'll post a picture in a bit)

8. FoxThain

FoxThain Member

I wouldn't throw away the bottle. I was just saying the bottle says its 100 units which means I'll get 50 days worth of shots out if (1 unit twice a day) I'll post the pic in a moment.

9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Lantus is 100 units per mL so a 10 mL vial holds a total of 1000 units. What you might be looking at is something saying it's a U100 insulin which is the way its concentration (100 units per mL) is stated.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  10. FoxThain

FoxThain Member

Here's the box. So I've just been miss readying? And I are 1000 doses in one bottle?

Attached Files:

11. FurBabiesMama

100 units/mL x 10 mL/vial = 1000 units/vial

12. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, there are 1000 doses of 1unit each in one vial.

13. FoxThain

FoxThain Member

Awesome that makes the cost less of a pain. Which is really the only issue I have with this. I do plan on testing blood soon. In a week we have a follow up and maybe the vet can walk me through the best/easiest way to do it. (A little fearful with out hands on training)
    But Walker has been doing well (so far) on her 2 shots a day. I haven't noticed any bad effects. She has a lot of strength and energy now. so that is a plus (except its hard to shoot and give pills -_-0 LOL)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.