Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy and Mickey

Amy and Mickey Member

If you are not having success with the insulin you are using I highly recommend giving Lantus a try. I get steady numbers with this rather than highs and lows. A word of caution: it works long and slow....making it easy to hypo your cat if you give too much.

I will try to describe my experience so that it might help others. I give my cat inslulin 2x a day. The first dose of the day is still working (or "still there") even if the numbers are climbing approaching the evening dose. The insulin "builds up" in the cats body, and more so over the next few days. Every 3 days, I have to cut it back. If you miss a dose and the numbers are high, dont give more. It takes days to build up & get back on track. Lantus is very predictable which is great. You will learn what works with your cat. Always use caution until you do.

Even the best of us have hypoed our cats. An oral syringe, Karo, dry food, and foods with gravy are your best friend.. Always have them on hand.

Hope this helps.

2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

yup, Simba has had 3 hypos in 5 years, one in 2008 and two in the beginning of this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.