Lasix substitutions for cat with diabetes and HCM?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by beepsandclicks, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beepsandclicks

beepsandclicks New Member

Hello All:

I've been sitting here wondering how my TJ might have gotten diabetes...I've had a feeling it was all related to his heart condition (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy), which was diagnosed this January. The two vets I've spoken to have both said "heart disease does not cause diabetes, but diabetes can cause heart disease." All I know is he has great glucose numbers back in January, when they tested him from tip to tail.

So I'm looking around on drug sites and I see this from the Lasix site:

Increases in blood glucose and alterations in glucose tolerance tests (with abnormalities of the fasting and 2-hour postprandial sugar) have been observed, and rarely, precipitation of diabetes mellitus has been reported.

So, this is day 3 on insulin, and he is off Lasix (as per the vet's instruction). Should he develop difficulty breathing again, do I have any other options besides Lasix?

Very frustrating and confusing.

Debra

2. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Not to dis your vet but, Heart trumps diabetes.

My guess about the lasix would be that because it is a diuretic, it makes the kidneys/pancreas work harder which could lead to diabetes. But if your cat cant breathe because of fluid buildup, then that is a big risk IMHO.

Merlyn was on lasix initially after his heart dx and then taken off and we ended up back at the vet. He stopped eating because of the fluid build up. My Merlyn had HCM as well as CRF. He was not on insulin anymore and despite almost every med he was on had warnings about diabetics (humans) taking them, he did not come out of remission. We did a balancing act of lasix and subQs, as he would dehydrate too quickly without the subQs.

I am not a vet, but I doubt very much that the lasix was directly responsible. If your TJ was predisposed, making his kidneys/pancreas work a bit harder may have sent him into diabetes. You still need to treat both conditions, however.

Some people have used
    http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/sp ... page1.aspx
    as a diuretic for their cats but there are side effects and warnings for this too. No med has no risk.

Sending cyber hugs for TJ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.