last food question....promise!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by heatherj932, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heatherj932

heatherj932 Member

Hello All,

I went and picked up more FF for Cyrus. At Walmart they are only 30 cents a can. I then stopped by my vets to pick up more Hills. I am making the transition from dry to canned.....it's just taking time. Instead of getting the c/d, I decided to try the m/d. Cyrus of course ate it. After I got home, I started to think about my other cat Sox who is non-diabetic. Sox also loved the m/d. Is is safe to give a non-diabetic cat m/d?? I am kinda freaking out a bit. Please advise before I get an ucler. @-)

Thank you!!

Heather, Cyrus & Sox

2. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Yes, it is safe. M/D is higher in protein and lower in carbs, which is not bad for non-diabetic kitties.

3. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Absolutely safe.. sometimes it is best to go cold turkey with the dry.. if they have the option of eating it.. they are going to continue doing so! It was a nightmare switching Baby to canned but now I even have her on Raw & I have never, ever looked back! No worries with food questions.. we all have them.. always! Hang in there & remember.. anything you are feeding to a Diabetic Kitty... is safe for a non Diabetic Kitty too ;-)

4. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Not with a diabetic cat because a sudden food change can cause a drastic drop in bgs and insulin need. Even going from prescription dry to grain-free dry can cause bgs to drop in some cats. The food change needs to be done slowly. Keep a close eye on bgs during any food change. The insulin dose may need to be adjusted accordingly to prevent possible hypo.

With cats in general, a sudden diet change can cause upset tummies, loose poop, even flat out refusal of the new food.

5. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

squeem3; I see you quoted me...
    I presumed the obvious was known.. naturally a cat can starve & have extremely adverse effects within 24-48 hours of not eating.. I was not implying to starve the cat. Also, if a cat is on Insulin they should be home tested & I would think that any dramatic drops would be timely observed.

I most definitely do not give dangerous advice & do not want anyone to get the wrong impression.. However, if you have dry food available always.. you are not going to transition the cat.

I know quoting Dr. Lisa here will get a lot of people telling me how I am not correct here.. but what I am meaning with my answer.. is what she is saying here.. don't cave, unless you ABSOLUTELY have to & unfortunatley most humans think they HAVE to & they just dont. Give it some time, of course the cat is going to test you & play "hard ball". Of course you need to give in & not let the cat go too long without eating & with cats that can be a day.. BUT I have seen people feed dry continually.. hoping to transition & they are many months into trying.

"This is where many people fail and just give in and fill up the dry food bowl. There were a few times when I had to call my 'sponsor' and was instructed to "just leave the house if you can't take looking into those eyes!" I left the house. Those pitiful little cries of "I have not had food for two WHOLE hours!" were hard to take. But, lo and behold, they were just fine when I returned. Not one cat had died from hunger."

Bottom Line.. you need to use common sense & take educated advice when transitioning.. but it is a tough process for a lot of us & sometimes the pains just have to be dealt with to ultimately reach the end goal.

6. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Heather-please pay particular attention to the reddish writing on the left hand side regarding transitioning from dry to wet and insulin doseage (this has been written by Dr Lisa DVM) and then if you look on the right in the dark blue there is a link for 'tips for transitioning from dry to wet'

Good luck :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.