Lasting longer?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Mphair84, Mar 16, 2019 at 3:54 PM.

  1. Mphair84

    Mphair84 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2018
    Can someone explain to me what is going on with my cat. I'm so confused. I feel like his nadirs are coming do later or something and I don't know if I'm handling it right.

    I recently lowered his insulin because I had to keep stalling or adjusting. I thought I was giving him too much. I've been setting my alarm and getting up to check his numbers.

    I'm getting more greens and blues, but then I have the morning reds or pinks.

    Could someone point me in the right direction?

    Side note, he will be getting a dental cleaning soon, I know he has some decay in his mouth.
     
  2. Kris & Teasel

    Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2016
    Overall his numbers are fine. He can be a late nadir cat, though, and it can anxiety-provoking to deal with that. Teasel does this a lot. This issue is exaggerated since you've begun dosing differently AM and PM and it's best to avoid doing that because it can increase the volatility. Notice how this difference in AM/PMPS was less of an issue when you kept the same dose each time. A better approach is to lower the dose very slightly to be able to give the same or else to be braver and keep the same dose but be prepared to steer with food. I do, however, agree with your decision to skip on 15 March with an AMPS of 69.
     
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 6:18 PM
  3. Djamila

    Djamila Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    Looks like you might be on track for another low PMPS tonight. Go ahead and get the +12 test as that will hopefully tell you if he's rising, or still going down. If he's rising, try giving a smaller dose tonight - maybe 1u if the PS number is still around 100, or 1.5u if the PS number ends up mid-blue or higher. If he's still falling, you may need to skip again and try again in the morning.

    As Kris said, giving consistent doses is helpful. The trick right now is figuring out what dose you can give consistently both AM and PM. It looks like 1.75u is too much. So if the numbers allow, try 1.5u for a few cycles and see if things even out. if that's still too much (you'll know it's too much if you're still getting PS numbers too low to shoot), then lower the dose some more.
     
  4. Mphair84

    Mphair84 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2018
    So figured I was giving him too much so I was lowering him. I was trying to stick to 1.75u. I was adjusting his dose because his PS numbers. In the past he's had a later nadir, but then it adjusted itself.

    On the 13 & 12 he had lower PS numbers so I adjusted as needed then gave him his regular dose because his PMPS. Should I have kept him the same? Then the next day I didn't have PS issues, so I figured his does was okay and maybe his pancreas just sputtered a bit or it has something to do with a bounce. But then I saw I was going to continue to have issues so I tried to lower his dose. It's 7, I'm going to check him now.
     
  5. Kris & Teasel

    Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2016
    This doesn't tend to work very well. A dose adjustment based on PS is best done only when a PS is too low for the usual dose.
     
  6. Mphair84

    Mphair84 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2018
    That's what I thought I was doing??? Should I have gave him his higher does, like on 12 or 13?
     
  7. Djamila

    Djamila Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    I think what Kris is saying is that you can't chase the PS numbers to try to correct what's happening right now. Most kitties go through times like you're experiencing right now where everything kind of goes upside down and sideways. The PS numbers you were seeing were too low to give the full dose (at this stage in your journey), and you did the right thing by lowering the dose. But now we have to try to get ahead of the numbers instead of trying to catch up to them. And hopefully you did that this morning when you gave a lower dose despite the high PS. (well done, by the way!)

    You're in a really tricky phase right now, but you're going to get Tuffy stabilized again soon. And like i said, most kitties go through phases like this. They are confusing and frustrating, and you're doing exactly the right things - you tried lowering on your own, you asked for help, and you're making good choices. These phases don't usually last too long, but they can be confusing when they happen.

    What needs to happen at this point is that the dose usually has to get a hair too low for a few cycles. Then the bouncing stabilizes, and then you can raise a smidge - using the nadirs instead of the PS's. But right now, the nadir and the PS are pretty much the same thing, so it's extra tricky. The hope is that we can get to a dose that will let you shoot two even doses, and still keep the numbers out of the pinks and reds.

    Hang in there and keep asking questions. Things will settle down soon :bighug::bighug::bighug:
     
    Kris & Teasel likes this.
  8. Mphair84

    Mphair84 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2018
    Just to clarify, you mean me giving a smaller dose like 1.5u, correct?

    I'm also hoping once he gets his cleaning his numbers will get better, or even out.
     
  9. Djamila

    Djamila Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    Yes. I'm hoping that it will move the nadir more mid-cycle-ish so you can give the same dose this evening.
     
    Mphair84 likes this.
  10. Mphair84

    Mphair84 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2018
    I'm asuassum that it may take a few cycles to move the nadir. So, say tonight he's still lower than usual, should I try not to adjust his dose? Or depending, give him 1.5 and steer with Carby foods if necessary?
     
  11. Djamila

    Djamila Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    Well, the 1.5u was looking good until this morning's PS. That pink was a little surprising. Wouldn't it be nice if we could just bring them to work and have them sleep under our desks all day?
     
    Mphair84 likes this.
  12. Mphair84

    Mphair84 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2018
    I ACTUALLY think it wouldn't have been pink, but I was a little bit later, so I think it went up. We will see tomorrow morning.
     
    Djamila likes this.
  13. Mphair84

    Mphair84 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2018
    Nope. In the 300's this morning also. :(
     
  14. Djamila

    Djamila Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    Well, the good news is that it looks like the bouncing is settling down. The bad news is that it looks like it's settling in higher numbers. It's a tough call about what to do next. I'm inclined to leave the dose one more cycle, especially since we can only guess at the daytime numbers, and see what TK gives you tonight, and then maybe increase by a hair, not all the way up to 1.75u. We may have to try to sneak in increases to try to avoid setting off another round of bounces. Sometimes they're unavoidable, but sometimes teeny tiny baby steps can help.
     
    Mphair84 and Kris & Teasel like this.
  15. Mphair84

    Mphair84 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2018
    Good plan. I will aim to give a "fat" 1.5 tomorrow or Friday?
     
    Rachel and Djamila like this.

Share This Page