Late Nadir?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by AbyResq, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AbyResq

AbyResq Member

ECID and Sweet Pea is definitely different than the last 3 cats I had on Prozinc. For the last 3 daytime cycles his PMPS numbers have looked like his nadir. Way too low to shoot. I ran a full curve today. I've been feeding him at shot time and around +4. I think I'm going to add another meal around +8 to see if it brings his glucose up for the next cycle. Would you adjust his dose too?

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I think I'd go with the +8 snack first (or maybe even +9) and see if that works to make the PMPS's more comfortably shootable.

Another option would be to lower the AM dose so you get less duration.

And a third option (so many choices with Prozinc!) would be to give a small dose on the PM cycle and then monitor. Those AMPS's are high enough that he may actually be able to take some insulin on lower numbers and be okay with it.

I would suggest getting a +2, +3, etc. tonight and see at what point the insulin wears off. Getting an idea of his duration will help figure out the next step.

AbyResq, Critter Mom, Rachel and 2 others like this.
  3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Wondering if Sweet Pea might be going low during some PM cycles on the somewhat higher doses and bouncing up to AMPS as a consequence? (See 16 Jan PM cycle - BG still falling at +5.)

(Just chuckin' ideas out here.)

Mogs

AbyResq likes this.
  4. AbyResq

AbyResq Member

All ideas are welcome. Most of his PM cycles after 1/16 were at reduced doses because the AM cycles surfed along.

At +14 he's 156. I don't know enough about him to shoot at that number. If he's >180 by +15 I think I will try 1.2 for tonight. 1 didn't hold him when I tried that the other night. He's enjoying all of the extra meals.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

:bighug: Wish I had some advice!

Critter Mom and AbyResq like this.
  6. Djamila

Since onset with Prozinc is usually +2 or slightly after that (of course ECID and all), if you had given the dose at shot time it would be grabbing onto the 156. I'm guessing that would be okay, but I certainly understand the caution. So if you shoot at +3/+15, the insulin will be grabbing a number that is approx two hours later than that, which should be a nice safe number.

This makes me wonder if another option for managing the late nadir might be to shoot on a 13/11 dosing cycle. Again, there are a lot of ways to approach this with prozinc, so it just depends on what sounds best to you, and what level of monitoring/intervention you want to try.

Critter Mom and AbyResq like this.
  7. AbyResq

AbyResq Member

I can't be a risk taker overnight right now. I still don't have tons of energy from dealing with the flu. I have no issues testing, a lot, but I don't want to risk sleeping through a hypo. A 13/11 dosing cycle might be a good option for him, hmmmmm.

Critter Mom and Djamila like this.
  8. Djamila

I can totally understand that. I find it nearly impossible to wake up during the night, so I'm with you on not wanting to risk middle-of-the-night hypos. And also, I think we have plenty of other things to try that don't involve a high level of risk at this point. We can start gambling more later if the snack and the 13/11 don't fix the problem. If we can figure out a way to give a PM dose, I think those AMPS numbers will start looking much better.

AbyResq likes this.
  9. AbyResq

AbyResq Member

+15 - 151

We may end up skipping again tonight. I will give him one more test at +16.

10. Djamila

Make sure you get the sleep you need though. If you need to skip tonight it will be okay. You've got a good plan for tomorrow to try to get him back on two shots.

Rachel, Critter Mom and AbyResq like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.