Latest Houston update

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mags920, Jul 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mags920

Mags920 Member

Been a while since I've been here but just wanted to let you all know Houston is doing well. No insulin since 6/22. I checked his #'s 3x daily for 3 weeks, then 2x until today. He is finally down well under 100 & staying there unless I forget to remove the dry food - he is 1 of 7 & the others are hungry as well. Yesterday he appeared a little off & when I checked his # he was 47 @ 1:21pm which is a little too low so I fed him anything he wanted including dry & he was back up to 61 @ 8:54pm. I did find a post from 1 yr ago that says he should be between 50 & 120 using a human meter. Anyway, he is still "King Pooper" pooping almost daily & sometimes 2x & I'm talking human sized poops. He weighed 11+ lbs before the enemas & MiraLAX 2x daily & is now only 9lbs & still pooping. I have noticed that he is starting to loose fur & he isn't the only one. Need to investigate that problem. Other than that all is well for now. :)

2. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Ooops, unnecessary freak out! Unless you are giving insulin (which you are not), they can't go hypoglycemic. So although that 47 looks scary, it was nothing to worry about!

"Normal" BG can vary a lot from cat to cat (without supplemental insulin). So don't worry about low numbers if you aren't giving insulin, but do keep an eye if numbers start to creep high.

Good job!
    Sandi.

beggargirl likes this.
  3. Mags920

Mags920 Member

I was slightly concerned but because he is no longer on insulin I figured 47 couldn't be too bad but I can get it up with "bad" food which is what I did. To think he was at 475 the end of May & now under 100 I can't complain. It took 4+ weeks to get his #'s down under 100 & now am just trying to maintain him. Just thinking the vet should have tried to control him via diet at the start instead of going for insulin right away. That's the past, we must move on.

4. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

So delighted for you. Truffles was doing fine but he’s had a skin flare up which has caused his bg to rise upwards so he’s back on the juice for now. Well done Houston

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.