? Layla BG 197 (human meter) Vet visit!!! So confused & worried ???

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Madeline528, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Hi

Layla is out of remission!!!

Took Layla to the vet today. A full blood work & urinalyses was done, waiting on results hopefully tomorrow. A stick test was done in urine. She test negative for ketones & positive for glucose. I was told to hold off on giving her any insulin.

He did oral exam, i was told she has gum disease & decay. That she is nauseous bc shes licking her lips & was given a pepcid shot. She still isnt eating her normal amount.

I asked if antibiotic was needed. Was giving biomox 2x day. But said, it can cause stomach upset & give only if shes eating

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Hi Madeline,
    Sorry to hear Layla is back from her honeymoon. Did Vet give anything for nausea?

Madeline528 likes this.
  3. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Yes, a pepcid shot

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the gum disease and decay. Does the vet plan to do a dental?

Madeline528 likes this.
  5. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Yes. He wants to get the test back & see where her bg levels are. Also, to rule out anything else.
    They said, her sugars being high could cause her not to eat. I always thought, high levels caused hunger.

I was told that gum disease would not cause her to come out of remission. That as me confused

6. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I think the tooth decay is more like the culprit. It can be very painful and when Bubba lost remission due to a bad tooth, last September, it was difficult to get him to eat. ( he only wanted Beechnut chicken or turkey or ham baby food) I insisted on a pain med, bup, for him and then he started to eat.

The sooner you get the dental addressed the better.

Madeline528 likes this.
  7. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Hi Bobbie

That was my thoughts too! I was surprised, he didn't offer antibiotic & pain med. I insisted on antibiotic & was giving biomax. What pain med can be giving, that doesn't effect the bg?

Once the test results come back. I'm told, I need to get her bg in good #'s, before the teeth can be address.

She ate 3/4 can of fancy feast classic & some beechnut chicken baby food so far today

Madeline

8. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad she's eating some for you. Hopefully she'll go back in remission once you get her teeth taken care of.
    That sounds backwards to me because the teeth may be the reason for the high numbers.

Madeline528 likes this.
  9. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

That's my exact thoughts too! Is biomax safe antibiotic for FD kitties?

10. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Madeline528 likes this.
  11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

A tooth infection has been the cause of several people's cats going out of remission on this board. One of the reasons my cat is having her tooth pulled on Friday before it happens to her!

12. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

13. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

14. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Thank you:bighug:

15. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Yes, that is what I been reading & thinking myself. I noticed plaque last month & should have made an appointment:( Glad your fur baby going friday!:bighug:
    Hoping when Layla's teeth issue are addressed she'll go back into remission!! Prayers and positive thoughts

JanetNJ likes this.
  16. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Pepcid isn't for nausea. It treats stomach acid. The best meds for nausea are cerenia, a vet drug, and ondansetron, a human drug. :bighug:

Madeline528 likes this.
  17. Bobbie And Bubba

Her BG's will NOT get into better numbers if she has a bad tooth. Insist on them doing the dental ASAP. If they won't, find another vet as you will be losing ground. When pain is present, they can become nauseas and won't eat.

Do you still have any Lantus? When Bubba's bad tooth knocked him out of remission, I started him back on insulin prior to the dental cleaning and extraction.

My vet gave Buprenorphine for pain. It is in premeasured syringes and you squirt into the cheek as it is absorbed through the mucus membranes.

Clavamox would be a better antibiotic for tooth related issues.

Keep us posted. :bighug:

Jan Radar (GA) and Madeline528 like this.
  18. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Ok,Thank you! She ate much better this morning. Almost a whole can of Fancy Feast pate. Her AMBG fast was 106 (human). Hopefully, i'll get the test results today:bighug:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    JanetNJ likes this.
  19. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Hi, Thank you! Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Waiting on the vet to call with the test results & to express my concerns (antibiotic, dental & lantus).
    She ate much better this morning (almost full can of fancy feast classic). Her AMBG fast was 106 (human).

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  20. Bobbie And Bubba

Much better AMBG! Stay on top of the numbers. Even if she doesn't need an extraction, plaque causes gum inflammation and inflammation is enough to take our kitties out of remission. Remission is so fragile.

Madeline528 likes this.
  21. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Ok, I def will! Thank you

22. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say she's really out of remission until her numbers are consistently high. A 106 AMBG is perfectly normal. We don't know how high BGs go in non-diabetic kitties when they are in discomfort or have an infection, since we don't test them. One good thing to do is get that AMBG and then test again a few hours after eating, to see if the number comes down. If it does, you know the pancreas is working.

I agree you need to stay on top of the numbers, as you're doing, and get that dental done ASAP. I hope you can convince your vet to get it scheduled, and if not, find one who will.

If she does end up going back into remission after this is resolved, I'd recommend you test at least once a month, so you can catch any high numbers without getting blindsided like this time! I was guilty of not testing with Cinco, and I missed it when he fell out of remission, until the drinking and peeing excessively started. :oops::facepalm: How I wish someone had reminded me not to get complacent!

23. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Hi, thank you! I'm def going to stay on top of her #'s. I don't want to be blindsided again. I did a test today @ 2pm 83 (human meter).

I spoke with the vet, he wants me to start biomax (per the vet it won't effect her bg). He schedule her for cleaning next Wed 7/26.
    He'll test her bg before the procedure.

Her blood work came back all is ok, except glucose (which i knew was high that day). Her urinalysis showed protein 1+ (high) & glucose 3+ (high)

24. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Is the Biomox in pill or liquid? Liquid medications usually have some form of sugar in the suspension, so be aware that could affect BGs. I'm glad you got the dental scheduled. Numbers look better! :)

Madeline528 likes this.
  25. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes it does have sugar in it. (sucrose)

BIOMOX (amoxicillin) Oral Suspension
    Active Ingredients:
    Amount:

Amoxicillin
    50 mg/mL
    Inactive Ingredients: Cherry Flavor, Silicon Dioxide NF, FD&C Red #40, Polyoxyethylene-Polyoxypropylene Glycol, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Saccharin, and Sucrose.

Madeline528 likes this.
  26. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

It is the liquid! I questioned the vet & the pharmacist from the company. Both are telling me yes there's sugar. But it's so little that it won't effect her BG. According to pharmacist its not flavored (cherry).

I asked about giving clavamox. The vet said, its hard on the stomach & he prefers the biomax. She is eating, just not her normal amount. I'm so worried about what to do!!!!

27. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Yes, I know! I questioned both the vet & pharmacist (from the company). They both agreed its so little it won't effect her bg.
    The pharmacist said, its not flavored cherry. According to the vet biomax is better because its not hard on the stomach. Where clavamox is.

She is eating, just not her normal amount. I'm so worried about what to do?

28. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

it sounds like your vet prefers this drug... and at least the sucrose is the very last ingredient .
    I would continue monitoring as you are doing....

it's only another week until the dental....
    you might have to restart lantus depending on the numbers.... but don't let that be discouraging.
    After the problem teeth are addressed, she will likely re-visit remission even if it needs a little insulin to get back there.

You are doing something about it. She's getting the care she needs to be your happy healthy baby.

29. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Thank you!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.