Layla out of remission BG 186 (human) NEED ADVICE PLEASE

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Madeline528, Jul 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Layla ate very little this morning & nothing else all day. She seems warm to touch. I checked her bg 186 on human glucous monitor. Other then today, shes been eating her low carb fancy feast pate. She hasn't shown any signs (drinking water, eating excessive or urinating excessive). She might have gotten into meow mix last week.

Advice needed - Do I take her to ER hospital now or wait to see my vet tomorrow?

Thank you Madeline

2. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

When was the last time she ate? How many hours?

Any history of uti's? Any other medical issues (pancreatitis, etc)?

3. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

W
    No, but when she was diagnosed in 2016 she had ketones. I have noticed plaque on her teeth recently.

She ate normal yesterday. This morning she ate but very little. She is turning her nose up to can tuna too

4. LizzieInTexas

Do you have any other food you can try to see if she will eat. Almost sounds like pain. BG numbers can go up due to pain also.

How is she acting? Normal? More lethargic? Drooling?

5. LizzieInTexas

I don't have any experience with ketones. Can you test? Do you have a meter or strips?

6. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Shes been sleeping. No drooling

7. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

I have the strips. But they expired 2/2017

8. LizzieInTexas

I would use them. Likely they are still good if they have been stored properly.

Is she sleeping more than normal? Gizmo's default state is sleep :rolleyes:

9. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

When she goes to pee, I will test.

Usually she sleeps. But she eats!!!

10. LizzieInTexas

She may go if you take her to the LB.

Report back.

Madeline528 likes this.
  11. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Here is a pic of her teeth/gums.
    She just got up to eat. I'm happy to say she ate some canned tuna

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  12. LizzieInTexas

Yay! I would still get ketone test and if not improved by morning I would do a vetty visit. I sometimes wonder if some of the canned foods are off and it makes them not feel good.

13. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Here is a pic of her teeth/gums.

Attached Files:

14. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Yes, I'm def taking her to the vet tomorrow. Especially that her BG are up. Something def is going on. I will test her ketones

Did you see the picture?

15. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey Madaline, sorry that Layla isn't eating well. The photo you posted shows lots of inflammation and it's very probable that her teeth is the issue now making her BG's higher. ( teeth issues is a big reason lots of kitties lose remission, Bubba included) Can you have her seen at the vets tomorrow. A good cleaning is in order and they will remove any teeth with absorption lesions at that time. With her not wanting to eat there is a good chance she has a tooth ache.

Baby food, all meat ones, is all Bubba would eat when he had a tooth ache. Just saw above you are taking her tomorrow. Good call the sooner she gets her teeth addressed the better.

16. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Hi , thank you! After infection is address & teeth cleaned. Do their BG's go back to normal? Or is lantus needed again?

Thanks Madeline

17. LizzieInTexas

I didn't see the picture from my tablet - but see it now on the computer. I totally agree with Bobbie - get that issue resolved ASAP.

Carla (@carfurby) - her cat Furball went out of remission due to teeth. Furball is back on Lantus. She may have some input on the waiting period to see if the BG numbers go back down.

On the babyfood - all meat and make sure there is nothing else in it. Gerber 2nd or Beachnut.

This is from Tanya's site but it still applies.

http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm#baby_food

Madeline528 likes this.
  18. Bobbie And Bubba

It took Bubba out of remission and we had to be back on the juice for a few months. She will most likely need to go back on for a bit. Keep us posted after the vet appointment. Do you still have some Lantus in the refrigerator? I started Bubba back on as soon as he hit the higher blues. See his SS for 2016 9/5 PM cycle.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Reason for edit: ETA to correct
    Madeline528 likes this.
  19. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad you are taking Layla to the vet. They should be able to tell you if there are any other issues that might be making her BG higher. If it is her teeth, hopefully they can get it taken care of quickly. I'd post after the vet visit and then ask for advice about restarting insulin.

Madeline528 and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  20. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Yes, I still have Lantus in my refrig. I checked & its still good. I'll def keep you all posted. She as eaten little more tuna

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  21. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Ok, thank you!

22. Bobbie And Bubba

Glad she ate some more tuna. Maybe small little meals for her. When Bubba needed his last extraction, he was really tough to get to eat.

Since she has had ketones before, it is soooooo important that she eats. The recipe for DKA is in appetence, infection or systemic stress and not enough insulin. Again, very happy that she is being seen tomorrow.

Madeline528 and LizzieInTexas like this.
  23. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

I did ketone test & it was negative

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.