Left out of refrigerator

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by TooSweetKittyMom (GA), Mar 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TooSweetKittyMom (GA)

TooSweetKittyMom (GA) Member

I left the Prozinc vial on the kitchen counter overnight. Is it ruined? Any way to test it?

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

The most obvious sign of it going bad would be little white floaties in the insulin or a change in color. How long as this vial been in use? Beyond appearance it depends on room temp, how many hours, and luck. Are you home testing? Assuming it looks okay, monitoring the impact is the other way to know.

3. TooSweetKittyMom (GA)

Thanks! I don't think the color has changed. It always gets cloudier after I roll it and now it's going to take a while to settle back down. I thought that's what it was supposed to be like. I haven't been home testing yet, although I have the equipment and many on the forum have encouraged me to do so. There are extenuating circumstances in the household and larger family, and the learning curve has been greater than I'm able to take on right now. I was hoping there was some quick and dirty method, like watching a sugar cube disintegrate after being squirted with a unit or two.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

:joyful: Oh that’s good! I love the idea of insulin killing sugar!

Yeah it should be cloudy when you roll it. Check it later after it’s been sitting for solid bits floating in it.

5. Djamila

LOL...No, but that idea makes me laugh! I wonder what would happen?!?

Yes, we will all encourage you to home test as giving insulin blind can be both dangerous and counter productive. We are happy to help if there is anything that might help you get started. We have photos, videos, descriptions, anecdotes, funny tricks, etc., and we'll even interpret the numbers for you! And of course we are here to help regardless, but we kind of can't help ourselves from pushing for the testing. :D

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

That's hilarious!! :D

7. TooSweetKittyMom (GA)

You and others were super helpful when I first joined this board, and I do intend to give it a try. Without disclosing too much, I'll just say Kitty was not the only member of my family to go through a health crisis in the past month, and the quick jabs for Kitty were the easiest thing about the morning and evening medication regimen. If everything continues to go in the right direction, the household pharmacy should soon be down to just the insulin and a couple of pills, and then I'll be able to take on the additional steps testing requires. I know it's not ideal, but it's the best care I can give her for the moment. I really am grateful for the support available on this board, even if it seems like I'm ignoring the advice!

Djamila likes this.
  8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

We're here when you're ready. :)

9. Djamila

I second what Kris said. :bighug:

TooSweetKittyMom (GA) and Rachel like this.
  10. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Third!!! :bighug:

TooSweetKittyMom (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.